Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed the car would not start the first time I pressed the start button. I could try it a second time and it would start. I did not pay it much attention, I thought I just was not getting the brake pedal depressed before I hit the button. Now that I think back it will warn you if you try to start without pressing the brake. There was no message.

The other night I stopped at the mail box and it did the same thing, nothing on the first try, the second time I pressed the start button it still did not start and then displayed the "Parking Aid Malfunction" message.
I opened and closed the door (to shut it completely off) and tried again, it still would not start. After several tries of opening and closing the door I got it started. Next morning I made sure I had my foot on the brake pedal the first time I pressed the start it did nothing. The second time it started.

We hooked a scanner up at work and got two codes that both referred to the key. Put a new battery in the key and it seems to be okay now. Put my foot on the brake,press the start button and it cranks the first try. Car was built 6/12, so after 2 and 1/2 years is makes sense it could probably use a battery. Give it a try. It takes a CR2032 battery.

Hope this helps someone else from the hassle of having to go to the dealer.

Of course why would it display the parking error message when the key battery was getting weak?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Made this a new thread for more looks & easier searching.

It's a different answer than the more common malfunction light along with not driving normally (quits moving right)/starting problems related to the TCM that's seen on some cars that don't even have parking assist or Intelligent Key system.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well never mind.

It did it again today.

So changing the remote battery is NOT a solution.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Well never mind.

It did it again today.

So changing the remote battery is NOT a solution.
Do you have a visit to your dealer scheduled to have this diagnosed? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take it to the dealer? Does the dealer know how to fix it?
I have an intermittent non-starting issue issue combined with a "parking aid malfunction" message and my car does not even have the parking aid feature.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you're under 80,000 miles the most expensive possibility (TCM) is still covered...

P.S. - see post #8 for warranty extension details.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Just happened to me last night on my 2013. This thread has been very helpful. Hopefully all goes well.
Welcome, MrHoy!

Do you have an appointment set up to visit your dealer? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll check out some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had this same thing happen on my car last Saturday, but it was more severe in my case.

The car wouldn't start and threw a "Park Aid Malfunction" error message. That was immediately followed by a "Hill Stop Descent Malfunction" (or something like that). The difference was, I couldn't compress the brake pedal. It was locked up. So I turned the car off and waited, when I tried again the pedal went in and the car came on like normal. I went about my day and just blew it off as some weird electrical anomaly.

Then, the next time I started the car, it did the exact same thing. It took me like 5 minutes, and 4 or 5 tries, to get the car started again. I drove it straight to the dealer that time. When I got there, I went out with the service adviser and neither of us could get the car to start up for anything, and the brake pedal stayed locked up the whole time. The car was a brick.

It drove perfectly fine, and all of electrical systems worked like normal while the car was running in between each incident.

I just finally got my car back today and the dealer replaced the TCM and reprogrammed my PCM.

(Bonus: I had the missing low windshield washer fluid notification problem, 08/11 build, so having the PCM reset ought to solve that too.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm stranded at home - same problem. I wonder if Ford will cover the cost of towing to a dealer...
2012 Titanium, 66k miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ugh!!! Me too. I got stranded tonight while driving. Parking aid malfunction appeared the info cluster, and the transmission disengaged while I coasted to the side of the side of the road. I tried restarting the car with no luck. It wouldn't even try to start. I had to have my Focus towed to my local Ford dealer :(

Ford Service please help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Should I have to pay anything?

I feel like my local dealer (where I had my Focus towed) is always trying to stick it to me. I purchased the top ESP when I got my Titanium Focus new, and I've never once walked away without them trying to charge me for something. Even an oil change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Should I have to pay anything?

I feel like my local dealer (where I had my Focus towed) is always trying to stick it to me. I purchased the top ESP when I got my Titanium Focus new, and I've never once walked away without them trying to charge me for something. Even an oil change.
You won't owe anything if the part that has failed falls under the latest service bulletin for the warranty extension on the TCM.
The condition that you describe sounds exactly like mine where the TCM failed on Sunday.
Fast turnaround by my servicing dealer had me back on the road Tuesday.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had noticed the car would not start the first time I pressed the start button. I could try it a second time and it would start. I did not pay it much attention, I thought I just was not getting the brake pedal depressed before I hit the button. Now that I think back it will warn you if you try to start without pressing the brake. There was no message.

The other night I stopped at the mail box and it did the same thing, nothing on the first try, the second time I pressed the start button it still did not start and then displayed the "Parking Aid Malfunction" message.
I opened and closed the door (to shut it completely off) and tried again, it still would not start. After several tries of opening and closing the door I got it started. Next morning I made sure I had my foot on the brake pedal the first time I pressed the start it did nothing. The second time it started.

We hooked a scanner up at work and got two codes that both referred to the key. Put a new battery in the key and it seems to be okay now. Put my foot on the brake,press the start button and it cranks the first try. Car was built 6/12, so after 2 and 1/2 years is makes sense it could probably use a battery. Give it a try. It takes a CR2032 battery.

Hope this helps someone else from the hassle of having to go to the dealer.

Of course why would it display the parking error message when the key battery was getting weak?
The other day mine did that too, I pushed the button but nothing happened, pushed it again and still nothing happened.....then it dawned on me that I was pushing the Climate Control button, not the Starter button.....it's the pits getting old! This is just my experience...like everyone else mentioned, yours sounds like the TCM failure. If under 100,000 miles, it should be under warranty.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
...then it dawned on me that I was pushing the Climate Control button, not the Starter button.....it's the pits getting old! ...
I knew there was a reason I preferred using the ignition switch and key in my Focus over the Push-to-start button in my wife's car -- too many dang buttons on that dashboard to choose from. (+1)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The other day mine did that too, I pushed the button but nothing happened, pushed it again and still nothing happened.....then it dawned on me that I was pushing the Climate Control button, not the Starter button.....it's the pits getting old! This is just my experience...like everyone else mentioned, yours sounds like the TCM failure. If under 100,000 miles, it should be under warranty.
Good one!

TCM warranty extension pushes it up to 10/150k so that will cover folks for a while.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
TCM warranty extension pushes it up to 10/150k so that will cover folks a=for a while.
Just 1 more year for me! [wiggle]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I just finally got my car back today and the dealer replaced the TCM and reprogrammed my PCM.
Hi djb2048,

I'm Todd, and will be covering Meagan's forums for a day or two. I've actually worked as a representative on the site before, and it's nice to be back.

I'm glad your dealer was able to take care of you. If you have any questions, let us know.

I'm stranded at home - same problem. I wonder if Ford will cover the cost of towing to a dealer...
2012 Titanium, 66k miles
Good afternoon Creamsicle,

Are you still experiencing this concern? If you haven't been able to get to a Ford Dealer, please contact Roadside Assistance at 1-800-241-3673. Once you're able to make an appointment, let me know, and I look into next steps.

Ford Service please help.
Ford Service to the rescue! What's the year and mileage of your ride, shale? I'm on this.

Fast turnaround by my servicing dealer had me back on the road Tuesday.
I'm glad to hear this, wizzells. I'm here if you have further questions or concerns.

Todd

1 - 20 of 30 Posts