Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,741 Posts
Maybe the battery is just strong enough to start the car but not strong enough to power much else when it's running. Does this only happen when it's started or also when it's off and ignition turned to on? Get a voltmeter and check the battery voltage. It should be around 12.6v sitting there. If it's more than 5 years old maybe just replace it. The date code will be on the top or side of the battery.
When the car is running check the voltage on the back of the alternator charging post under the rubber cover. Make sure that you put the voltmeter or multimeter on a good ground and see what the charging voltage is. It should be about 13.5-14.5v.
Also, check your battery cable posts and cable clamps for cleanliness, tightness, and no corrosion. Check all your ground connections to make sure they're tight and corrosion free. Sometimes a little factory paint between the ground and the strap/cable/wire prevents a good connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe the battery is just strong enough to start the car but not strong enough to power much else when it's running. Does this only happen when it's started or also when it's off and ignition turned to on? Get a voltmeter and check the battery voltage. It should be around 12.6v sitting there. If it's more than 5 years old maybe just replace it. The date code will be on the top or side of the battery.
When the car is running check the voltage on the back of the alternator charging post under the rubber cover. Make sure that you put the voltmeter or multimeter on a good ground and see what the charging voltage is. It should be about 13.5-14.5v.
Also, check your battery cable posts and cable clamps for cleanliness, tightness, and no corrosion. Check all your ground connections to make sure they're tight and corrosion free. Sometimes a little factory paint between the ground and the strap/cable/wire prevents a good connection.
Does it when vehicle not running either... The battery and its connections are good. I'm dreading a module :(

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,741 Posts
What did the battery voltage read exactly?
You have multiple grounds to check. Any one of them can cause this issue.
Scan the car for codes and see if anything comes up.
What "module" are you dreading?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for taking so long to get back. Battery voltage was at 14.8v. I checked all the under hood fuses (I couldn't find my test light so it was too cramped to check the under dash fuses with a multimeter. I also swapped "like" relays around to see. Then, I disconnected the battery and once I hooked it back up, all my lights came on! So, I have no idea what caused it, but it's good for now.

Oh, since I'm in the great white north, this car has an aftermarket auto start, some think that might be the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts