Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a bit curious after everything lately (yay job), I recently came to the conclusion after visiting VonKrause... something is REALLY wrong with my car and has been since I had it.

My 2002 ford focus (auto zetec) gets ridiculously low gas milage, as much as half as less as some cars. It gets between 15 and 17 (and 17 is driving on hwy exclusively without traffic at posted speeds). I know a few of you have seen and worked on my car, so would like your input on what could cause this.

Thanks!

·
IH8URFCE
2,231 Posts
dirty/old/faulty MAF or fuel or O2 sensors? i know when i had my MAF out, i would get awful gas mileage and a check engine light. but mostly other than that it would drive fine. that's my 2 cents.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Could be a number of things.

Fuel Pump is weak, bad tune, dirty air filter, dirty MAF, clogged exhaust, bad coils, lots of build up in the car ... heavy foot.

There's lots of things that you can check. ... does it idle rough? Does it stay at a high idle when you first turn it on for more than 5 minutes? when you come to a stop, how long does it take to idle back down.

-Ray-

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea the other thread covered aggressive driving. I'm not, I drive posted speeds... yea, I really do, people behind me get pissed. So not a heavy foot driver, I know that's a big on for fuel economy.

Fuel pump has been replaced, this gas mileage is consistent to what I had before I put it in as well.

I'll see about information for the rest of your questions tomorrow, unfortunately, like the other thread suggested... all my cars have been in poor condition that I've owned, so I'm not exactly sure what idling rough would feel like.

Thanks!

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Tune up time? Plugs, wires, fuel filter (very important Raymond geesh so quick to say fuel pump lol), air filter, and cleaning the MAF.

Now I get around 21-24mpg's but I live and work within a 5-10mi radius and that's putting my foot in it sometimes. I used to get 27mpg all the time, but that was the old motor, this ones seems to like the petrol a little more.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
I get about 27 mpg and drive pretty aggressive and at 70-80 plus on the freeway. I'm down to about 25 now since I'm running the ac all the time now. Fuel filter, maf, plugs, wires etc... like Paul and Ray said. Lot of variables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts