Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone has tried such a mod....you get a standard filter over the counter like this Fram #TSA9345. I think it came off a Grand Cherokee V8. It measures 7 3/4" long, by 6" in diameter. The MAFS housing is one I had lying around (not for a Focus, sitting there for show). The filter looks like it would fit my '06, with some modification (relocation of the cruise module). My Steeda MASF housing might work with it.

Benefits....cheap, compared to a standard cleanable filter, plus you'd get the benefit of a really good paper filter, with maybe 2x the surface area of the Steeda filter. I think I could make a housing for it, so the filter would just drop right in from the top.

What do you think....there are plenty of similar filters around that might fit, if this one doesn't. I like the idea of a drop-in good paper filter.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
its a good idea... but if you just drop 60$ and 12$ for a K&N filter and the cleaner kit, you can have a filter guaranteed for a million miles...

but i think the filter would give some underhood bling.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
a. its paper
b. fram sucks
c. i think thats for a 90s chevy 5.7, or at least they take one like that, same with explorers/expeditions from that era

however it looks cool

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as the brand is concerned.....take your pick. Using the Fram# as a reference, I'm sure you could find any number of equivalents. A good auto parts store guy, might recognize that style, and could recommend something slightly bigger/smaller.

That MAFS housing is just sitting there for the picture.....if I attempt this, I'll try my Steeda aluminum housing. It looks like the Steeda housing could be used in the setup, even though the housing wouldn't line up with the filter at exactly 90 degrees.

An SRI setup with some water splash shielding, would avoid problems with the elements......you could even completely enclose the filter in a custom box, and duplicate the stock intake snorkel. Looks to be possible, if you're into that sort of modding. [:)]

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The problem with paper is similar to foam. it clogs. Where a certain amount of buildup on a oiled/gauze filter increases its filtering ability. There are several websites that do a 'compare/contrast' evaluation. Plus as HonHon stated, the 'cost per mile' is much lower with a quality gauze type filter (OK. he did not say 'cost per mile' but that's what he is talking about). But if you want maximum filtering with minimum cost, stay with the OEM filter. Its large (to alleviate the clogging problem with foam), and the snorkel gets air from a really clean area of the engine. Plus its free as you already have it. Its not performance oriented, but its superior for its design methodology.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
i have a jeep. the stock paper is CRAP!!! might as well just go to auto zone and get a cheap ricer filter. i had one on my stealth cai and it worked fine.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well....please explain how your paper filter was "crap". Most cars use paper filters without any problems.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i have a jeep. the stock paper is CRAP!!! might as well just go to auto zone and get a cheap ricer filter. i had one on my stealth cai and it worked fine.
paper filters from what ive read filter well... they just dont have the air velocity of the K&N's and the like, so no one wants to keep them... hense the reason MFG's put them in from OEM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts