Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a new bumper for my focus (a urethane one) but am worried that after I get it painted, it won't match the rest of the car due to the sun fading the original coat.

After searching a previous thread and found out that painters can blend in white to get it to match the car's paint but does this always work well?

Is it also possible that my car is too faded already? I've had it for about 2 years now and park it outside year round (my parents use the garage).

I am thinking of taking the bumper and the car to a collision shop and seeing if they will paint it. I figure they would have the most experience with paint matching.

Any info that will help me make the best match is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Any quality autobody shop should be able to blend it so that it near impossible to tell what was repainted due to mismatch. I recommend to have the bodyshop paint it especially if your new to the paint game. The pros use the HVLP guns to get a nice even coat throughout. Remember, the cheapest place doesn't always mean the best. Ask to see some of their work.

---Randy

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Usually you don't have to ask for the quality of their work if the shop is part of the AAA perferred network. Just look for the AAA insurance sticker on the door, and there is a good chance they do top notch work.

Just based on my personal experiences.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If they bled it means that they put paint and clear on the adjecent panels to help make the paint blend into the bumper. When we mix paint we always do a sprayout card to make sure the color is good, if it is off then we tint it until it is right. I would not have them blend, it costs more and nothing is more durable than an oem finish. Go to a bodyshop and look at what kind of cars they are repairing. If the cars are a couple of years old it is used car work for dealerships, newer cars usually mean isurance work which has to be better quality.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have an 02 focus, can't speak for how it was cared for before 05, when I got it. In any case, when I got my hellas (march 06) we got a can of factory Silver Frost/CD Sivler paint, sprayed em down, and I swear, I can't tell the difference. This was just my dad painting it, someone who doesn't do any automotive painting.

I'm sure a body show should be able to do alright, just try to figure out if they care or not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for the info guys.

About how much does a paintjob cost?

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i know PPG places have a set of match cards, so they can match the color of the faded paint. then blend, it looks absolulty perfect.

like my orginal paint has the code TS, where as not that it's faded they metered it as TS with R variant. so your paint can be matched no problem.

as for cost, i'd say for just the front bumper it should be roughly $300

·
Registered
5 Posts
FRONT BUMPERS IVE DONE, ILL CHARGE LIKE 100 BUCKS, PAINT INCLUDED. BUMPERS ARE A SMALL JOB . DEPENDING IF THEY NEED ANY KIND OF BODYWORK OR NOT. 300 BUCKS CAN GET A SMALL CAR PAINTED, JUST BASIC. LOOK FOR A GOOD BOBY SHOP THAT HAS WORK READILY AVAILABLE TO SEE, THEN GO FROM THERE. BUT SHOP AROUND

1 - 8 of 8 Posts