Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone. quick question. what is best to use for removing paint off the car to get it ready to be re-primed and re-painted. i can do all that. i'm just used to older vehicles that i can sand. and being that newer rigs are different. is thinner okay to rub on? or stripper?

any suggestions and help is appreciated![thumb]

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
you don't need to take it down to bare metal unless you really really really want to spend a butt load of time doing so. You'll need to remove all peices from everything if you're going to get the jambs to. Turpentine, thinner and all that other stripper stuff can damage other components and it's dangerous to work around. Do you have another car you can drive for now? That kind of project will take a very long time, months even.

You'll need to wetsand the crap out of it with 300 grit for the paint to stick. Some places you'll need to primer. But you don't really need primer on every single square inch so to say.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true. nahh i just wanted to get the exterior. same color as well. so it shouldent be that bad. there is just a ridiculous amount of scratchs and scuffs all over it. it needs to be re-done.

yes i do have another car to drive..

·
Registered
897 Posts
paint jobs...what a fun time lol. With my car i took the doors down to bare metal but the rest of the car i just sanded the hell out of it. I too had many dents and deep scratches so i went with a low grit (300) and really worked with it until i got up to the primer. Sprayed probably 3 coats and sanded a lot out of that too. Sealed and then did the two tone.

When i took it down to metal i used spray aircraft remover and it worked fine. Granted i had to apply it several times but it was better than sanding. But whatever route you take simply depends on how long you wanna work on it for and how good you want the end result to be. I took a good 4 months to get it done and i'm still not done (gotta buff it all out more)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts