Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Paint wheel with tire off.

Votes: 5 41.7%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into painting some stockers and am wondering if it is better to paint with the tires on, or with the tires off?

I ask b/c of the risk of damaging the new paint when having tires mounted.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
if the tires are on then leave them on, just cover them really good!

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
if you are going to paint your rims then you should just do it the right way. take the tires off , sand blast or just sand, paint with somepaind that you have to bake on , throw the rim in the cooker , and done

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
You CAN paint wheels with the tires still mounted but it will be a more tedious job. Most of your time will be used from masking off the tires more than anything, but one could pull off a good job if you're just looking for a temporary fix right now.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
yeah take the tires off, do it right let the paint cure for a few days, then get the tires put back on, as long as the guy mounting the tires knows what he is doing they wont be scrached

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I asked the same thing once and got the same kind of responses. Some say off, some say on. If it were me, I'd leave the tires on. But if you take it to a good shop they should be able to install the tires without damaging the paint. There's a specific kind of machine that shouldn't damage it, but I can't remember what it's called.

But I ended up powder coating instead.....lol

·
Registered
774 Posts
Take them off. just go down to the local tire shop, 5minute operation. saves you all the masking work. Honestly - how would you get a good finish on a rim with the tire still on? Baking the finish on is the best way, but they do have some pretty good wheel paint you can do yourself. Professional job with proper prep and spray is always the best.

How long do you want the wheel paint to last and how perfect do you want it to look?

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the responses. The wheels I plan on using have old tires than need to be replaced, so they were for sure comming off. Thing is I already have the replacements.

These will be late spring to early fall wheels. I don't want to have to paint them every year or two. I'd like a nice finish.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Take the tires off,
scuff up the wheels for good paint surface
mount tires just don't inflate keep the bead back on the inner part of the wheel,
mask off and paper,
paint away
inflate. it will look good enough especially if you are sticking with a similiar color.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I asked the same thing once and got the same kind of responses. Some say off, some say on. If it were me, I'd leave the tires on. But if you take it to a good shop they should be able to install the tires without damaging the paint. There's a specific kind of machine that shouldn't damage it, but I can't remember what it's called.

But I ended up powder coating instead.....lol

I think you're thinking of the Hunter tire mounter/balancer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts