Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, thinking about painting the detail on my shift knob as seen in the $30 mod post...

Does nail polish work fine for this? Will it chip or anything? Anyone that has done this - Did you just paint it on haphazardly then wipe the shift knob off such that the paint remains in the depressed area?

Thanks

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I wouldn't recommend just painting it on and then wiping it away. I wouldn't trust nail polish to stick long enough to stay in the crevices. It could also get REAL messy. I also wouldn't trust it to keep from chipping. Nail polish and paint are completely different.

If it were me, I'd get paint from a hobby shop and fine brushes and take your time. Oh, and some thinner in case you mess up (but you'll need to clean your brushes with it too)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, that's what I was thinking. I could get my hands on both (Have a gf and put together plastic models as a kid). Think testors model paint will work? I don't know if they intend that for metal or plastic, I think I remember it working on both.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Yeah, I was actually just thinking if that paint would work. Well, maybe get the brushes from the hobby shop and paint from Auto Zone or something similar you have in your area. Heck, maybe even wal-mart. But I'd recommend automotive paint since it's made to withstand harsher elements.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I going to find much automotive paint in small quantity jars? I don't want to spray it out of a can into something and have a weird consistency. I'll have to take a look around, see what I can come up with.

Thanks for bouncing ideas back and fourth.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i tried all ways, the way that worked best was painting the whole metal part, letting it dry for 5-10 minutes and then using the rough side of a litchen sponge to scrub it. The only part that will be left behind is whats in the numbers. let me know if u have any questions

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yeah thats how I did mine. Grabbed some black nail polish and just put it in the numbers and let it go wherever really, and then sanded down the top with some fine grit paper. It actually gave it a nice brushed steel look to it, then covered in clear coat. I have a picture somewhere I'll post it in a min.

It's been like that for I'd say almost a year, and still looks great.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, wasn't looking to change the finish on the metal part for fear of it looking inconsistent with that on the outer edges near the leather, although your's looks great.

Thinking of using some hobby paint that says on the little jar can be used for metal, cleaning it really well with isopropyl alcohol, maybe roughing up the area to which paint will be applied with a razor, then using a detail brush to get it down in good, wiping away any excess that gets around the edges. Keeping in the Red/Black theme of my vehicle and making the 1-5 and line black and the R red, as I have seen someone else do on here, looks really nice.

I'll be giving it a shot around Thanksgiving, will post photos then. Any more suggestions appreciated!

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i'm planning on doing this as well, it looks real nice

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Ur idea sounds great and well planned out.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Maybe some red polish instead???

So the top of the knob is metal and can be polished?
def. on mine i started to sand it very lightly and ended up putting to much pressure and a started to get a nice shine. If you go too far you'll get into the copper part, it's almost as if they chromed it, then painted over it.

either way after i sanded it i took a buffing wheel on a dremel and shinned it up real nice, looks chromed actually. I did slip and mess up the leather a bit around the edges but it's barely noticible, I'm just anal about stuff like that and it bothers me.

the picture i took was before i polished it i'll take another picture and post it tonight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I'd say it is a metal coating of some sort on the top. I'm going to use black and red paint, will match interior black/red stitching and red detail on seats and door panels.

Just washed mine today, woot woot!

It'll rain tomorrow.

5,155 Posts
I used acrylic paint when I did mine about a year ago. I painted the depressed areas and if I got any outside the grooves, I wiped over it lightly with a damp rag.

Click here for the original thread.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just a tip for anyone who doesn't know. The metal looking piece is removable. You can just pry it out with a thin tiny screwdriver or razor blade, just be careful not to damage either piece. Its much easier to paint this way, since you don't have to mask anything off.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
do it the way i said it, it wont change the metal finish. Plus you have to take out the metal peace. I thought that was assumed. Just take a small flat head and pop it out

·
Registered
122 Posts
I only mentioned it because the first time I painted mine I masked it off. I was playing with it later and figured out it came apart.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
yay, someone is doing the mod I posted in that thread! I used acrylic paint, and it looks just as good as the day I did it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How does the metal piece pop out/snap in? Is it just a slip fit that pops in? Focus 112, what paint did you use (brand/where you got it)? I have testors model paint for metal/plastic, however I think this is enamel, not acrylic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts