Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted pix of my ZX3 not long ago and since then I've had some of you ask me where I got my car painted so I thought I'd share these photos.

I painted the car myself back in May in my father's 2-car garage using Dupont Chromabase 2-stage paint. Here are some pix of the steps in painting it. Hope you enjoy them...

Here's the car taped up and ready for paint. This was one of the most time consuming parts. After taping it up I scuffed the whole thing with a grey Scotch-Brite pad to roughen the surface...

The next most time consuming part was laying out the graphics. I started with a mylar "template" which I taped on the car and drew out (prior to painting) so I could get the graphics fine-tuned. After getting the "template" in place, I used blue 1/4" fine-line tape to tape off the graphics.

Here it is, ready for the gray paint...

Here's me spraying the bumper. Dad followed me around with a little spot light to double check paint coverage...

Using the blue fine-line tape, here I am taping off the area to be black...

Here's the car ready for the black paint...

After this, I sprayed the clearcoat with blue "flake" over just this black area...

Then I removed all of the tape and cleared both sides and back of the car. No pix of this, but it turned out nice and shiny!!

Here's me wet/sanding and dad doin' some buffing...this part seemed to take forever. My clear was kinda rough on this side so I ended up redoing this side a couple weeks later.

Here's the final project all complete...

All in all it was a fun experience for my first paint job. I've got well over 65 hours in this and I can say that I truly appreciate what custom painters do. Anyway, let me know if you have any questions or comments.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice man, Looks great. I can't believe you did it yourself.... but the pics tell the tale.

You did a good job, what made you paint it yourself?

[cool]

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thats the best paint job I have ever seen on a Focus so you did amazing for your first time around! If you were local, Id pay you to do my car!

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's awesome, it looks really cool. [thumb] How much did something like that cost overall? like in supplies and stuff?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
you did a great job on it. love how it turned out in the end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sa-sa-sa-sweeet :) i usually don't like the multicolored cars, but you followed the lines of the car, and it fits quite nice

ok..have to make some suggestion- i don't like the front blue color :p, but that's irrelevant-- the blue flake is amazing though :-D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FociFreak said:
You did a good job, what made you paint it yourself?
I've always been into customizing cars and have paid for a couple custom paint jobs which are NOT cheap. After taking a 14 week class I felt comfortable enough to try it on mine. It's not perfect, but I'm very happy with it considering my minimal experience.

ZetecZX3 said:
How much did something like that cost overall? like in supplies and stuff?
I've got around $600.00 in materials (paint, clear, sandpaper, compounds, other necessaries). That's not counting the paint gun, compressor, buffer and other tools.

kttnmthkngs420 said:
it looks as if the gray was the usual car color to start with.
Actually, I painted the gray and black over the original Malibu Blue color and re-cleared the whole thing.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments!! I really appreciate it. This car is alot of fun to play with.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i freakin love this car and the fact that you painted it yourself is amazing the extra detail with the blue flakes is small but sets it off. id pay you to paint {scironzts} tjs car if he ever wanted it done lol there is no hope for my mitty. just all around a great looking car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
that is amazing... i wish that i could do that.

you did an excellent job. it looks wonderful.[thumb]

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
nice man nice...all I can say :) how much did the 18 week course set yah back ?
-Joe

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
oh another thing...do u know how fed up that would be if u painted your front rims the blue color since the back rims look like the grey? just a bad thought ;)
-Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
avengerc4 said:
nice man nice...all I can say :) how much did the 18 week course set yah back ?
-Joe
The course was $160.00 plus I had to buy a paint gun, which ran me around $200.00. Well worth the money spent!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Great job.. It is a blast to paint a car isn't it? I painted Kenworth trucks with Imron and that was a great job. To bad I got laid off. The real talent is laying out the design. My hats off to you. When my garage is built, I will have a dedicated paint booth. This gives me great ideas for getting some extra money. I could do other peoples cars like that.. Focus only... honda's need not apply!!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Woooooo! That looks sweet. You say it's not perfect, but it sure looks like it in the pictures. I absolutely love that paint job. [:)~]

·
Registered
42 Posts
brag brag brag dude - awesome work u did...

as the announcer in UT says - IMPRESSIVE

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.