Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to paint my headlights. Want to make sure I've got the right idea on what to paint and what NOT to paint. I'll include some pictures below. My primary concern is the area immediately around the reflector, it's covered with a bunch or parallel lines. These areas are immediately in front of and above/below the reflector area. I need to know if those areas can be painted, or if those areas help spread light and should remain untouched.

Is Krylon Fusion paint good enough for this, or is there a different preference? I figured a matte or semi-gloss would look best. I have some 0000 steel wool I could use if it ended up too glossy.

Blue arrows are where I'm planning on painting, yellow arrows show reflectors, red arrows are the areas in question. I would mask off the reflectors obviously so no paint got on them.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Do it like you have it labeled and DO paint the red arrow area! Just leave yellow arrow areas (reflectors) not painted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you take them apart, you'll see that the reflector (red) separates from that piece you want to paint (blue), and you should be good to spray that whole piece, masking off the orange reflectors. I used krylon fusion to paint a previous vehicles headlights and the matte black looks amazing. Make sure you prep the piece well. Good luck, can't wait to see the end result.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, speed bump #1...can't get the lens off. Had it in the oven for 15 minutes @ 275*, still no dice. The glue/sealant is black, and after being in the oven the last time (tried it at lower temps first) the housing was showing signs of overheating and the glue was barely any different then room temp. I know I can't take it any further without risk of warping the housing.

What's the trick with this? The sealant is black, and it just won't budge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had this same situation with my last car. Oven and heat gun didn't work. I ended up using a dremel to cut around the edges where the back meets the clear lens, and then re-bonding it. If that's too much of a trouble you may just want to invest in some used Ti headlights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd love to hear how/if you were able to get them open. I want to paint mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the 2012 to 2014 focus headlights when you are heating up the lens do you need to remove the wiring harness from the headlights before putting in the oven

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
On the 2012 to 2014 focus headlights when you are heating up the lens do you need to remove the wiring harness from the headlights before putting in the oven
No... everything inside stays there!

Don't worry just don't go too high!

I opened mine at 200F

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok thank you. Never seen headlights with the harness inside the actual headlight like this. How long should I leave in at 200 degrees

·
Registered
60 Posts
subd

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Ok thank you. Never seen headlights with the harness inside the actual headlight like this. How long should I leave in at 200 degrees
Important let the oven PREHEAT FIRST!

When it have reached 200F ... I put a timer for 8-10 minutes..

Then pry carefully ... put it again in the oven for 8-10 mins when its getting hard to pry

Patience is good... I took me nearly a day for both to open and clean the gunk

See why preheating is important here --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/472113-using-oven-hid-retrofit.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got one headlight done. It took a while to pull one apart. Tomorrow I'll do the other and I'll post pics. Thanks for all the help. These are a pain but end result is worth it.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I cleared all of the butyl out of the channel on the base side, then used something similar to a silicon glue to put them back together which didn't require rebaking.
For of these clamps I've linked to will also help you out tremedously.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dew...AUoAQ&biw=375&bih=559#spd=5814622309277657459

The gunk you saw on the headlight is Permaseal!

Butyl is always soft and require almost no prying when hot.

Permaseal is a PITA to work with!

·
Registered
990 Posts
The gunk you saw on the headlight is Permaseal!

Butyl is always soft and require almost no prying when hot.

Permaseal is a PITA to work with!
You're correct sir! I popped open some projectors after the LED lights went out and they were super easy. To bad the stockers aren't the same!

·
Registered
45 Posts
That looks awesome! How long do you think it will last? How did putting it together go? Do you think any moisture will get in the headlights?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Putting together was kinda of a pain. I put them back in oven so the sealant could reheat and then I put them back together. I used some small clamps around the edges to hold into place then used extra sealant around the headlights to seal them up and to add protection. They shouldn't leak if so I'll take back off and add more sealant around edges. I have done headlights before without them leaking so hoping my streak stays alive lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts