Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a write up for the rear drums, but is there anything special I need to know to paint the front calipers? Is there anything I shouldn't paint on the caliper?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Don't paint the rotors!!! [rofl] and yeah, I've seen it done before.

Same idea, just mask off everything and paint the actual 'caliper' only.... there's some close up pics in the PHOTO GALLERY of work others have done on this.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Just dont paint the rotor, if you get some on the rotor, just wipe it off with brake cleaner. you can avoid buying that expensive caliper paint kit by using Engine paint. Thats all i ever use and works just as well. Mine have been painted since the first week i had my car in Nov '04 and still look like i just painted them. Best way is just take the caliper loose and have it hanging by the brake line, clean it with brake parts cleaner then wipe it down with alcohol. Then paint using a couple coats of the engine paint. Also, it you want to speed things up, you can use a heat gun or hairdryer to dry it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Sounds like a cheap and easy mod, my favorite

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brembo red of course.

7 bucks for a spary bottle, for that 1500 dollar big break kit look [;)]

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Haha, nice.....

You should go out and get some BREMBO stickers made up also like some guy did on here and put them on the calipers. A little tacky, and ricey of course but they did look cool, just fake.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was only able to paint one caliper before the "storm of the century" hit central new york...

At least i got over my fear of removing and replace a wheel/tire

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
does the masking really work?

I def. plan on doing this but I was going to wait for a weekend when i could leave my car on blocks and take the calipers off.

I'm affraid I would overspray and ruin my clean car!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Masking does work if you pretty much cover everything and have some sort of shield protecting the fenders and such. But just make sure you have enough masking tape, newspapers and probably cardboard to act as a shield (just take not of wind direction when you spray ;) )

But i had my car sitting on jacks for a couple days while i painted mine...although i used a brush kit so i didn't bother to really mask anything off.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
im gonna be painting mine in the next week to white(my fofo is white) and i hope it turns out i have some engine paint goes to 500 is that enough, should be eh?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It wasn't tough at all no overspary marks or anything...

I didn't mask at all either, just used a sheet of paper to take care of over spray.

I got a little very little paint on the rotors, It came right off when i tested to make sure the breaks/wheels were working(not going to fall off).

I didn't have jack stands I just used the emergency jack in the back, up in down in 30 minutes.

I plan to do the otherside tomorrow, maybe I'll take some pictures.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
i think i'll do this next weekend but i think i'll use the brush kit. no dealing with over spray and taking the caliper on and off and all that. not as much to tape off because of the no spray. figure that's easier.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I used the duplicor brush kit and i'm pretty happy with my results. For me it ended up being a lot more work then i realized but after it was all said and done there was nothing but smiles on my face.

·
Registered
784 Posts
One little hint.
When me and my brother did mine on my SVT he scrubbed the daylights out of them with simple green and reglular detergent and let them dry for a while before we sprayed them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
b16sir1991 said:
Best way is just take the caliper loose and have it hanging by the brake line...
don't do this. [?|]

hang the caliper from, say, the suspension spring using a good tie wrap or wire. don't exert pulling stress on the rubber brake line or fitting.

and, of course, wrap everything in the wheel well and make sure there's no air current to blow ANY overspray onto your body paint.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts