Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting my hands on some taillights, bumper, gas cap, and maybe a spoiler. Buuuuuut they dont match my cars color. How hard is it to repaint something like that?

·
Registered
345 Posts
What is your painting experience?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can slap a pretty even coat. Ive painted interior peices but im guessing this is a whole new ball game. A bud of mine has a preasure painter or whatever that they painted his truck with when they fixed it up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well, first off let me say that nothing you do yourself will compare to bringing it to a body shop and having it professionally sprayed.

With that said, you can totally do this yourself. You have a couple of options. 1) Rattle Can or 2) Gravity Feed/Siphon Feed Spray Gun. You will get better results using option #2 but with a steady, even hand you can pull off using option #1.

The MOST important part of spraying your own parts is PREPARATION. You can use the most expensive paint in the world but if you don't prep your parts correctly, your paint job will suck.

Depending on the current condition of your parts, will determine how much "prep" work you need to do so you can be ready for paint. You also want to have a clean work area (you're driveway doesn't count). With proper air movement, you can simply use a one car garage. You want to limit the amount of crap that can get in your paint.

How do your parts look now? Do you have a spot to paint your parts?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I paint it with my friend we can use his spray gun.

the parts appear to be in good condition (going by pics). and we will be using a large multicar toolshed/garage, there is that 3mm plastic stuff to mask off the area of garage being used. also, what would the paint cost to do this? (my car is black)

·
Registered
220 Posts
i painted my roush front in the same place i did my window tint, a car wash with two close able doors, and late at night, that way there's alot less moisture in the air, and almost no dust/dirt

turned out pretty good, better than the work i've seen at the local college

·
Registered
24 Posts
prep is every thing. if the parts are already painted you will need to sand them an make sure you dont leave a orange peel(every thing smooth no little pits) along with masking off any areas that you dont wont paint and clean up of the part before paint.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Like everyone said:

Prep work, prep work, prep work. You are best off spending some time researching prepping your parts and making sure that you get it done right. Take the time to let the paint dry between coats and wet sand, as well. It isn't that hard to get it right, but then again it is even easier to get it wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts