Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question has anyone ever painted chrome wheels and what is the best way to do this so they will turn out nice and stay that way any Ideas are very much appreciated . Thinking of painting my wheels[idea] Bronze, chrome just isnt workin. with the grey wish Id have looked around this forum before buying them. I would have done something differant.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been reading on some of the past post on this and everybody is saying just take the shine off of the chrome with sand paper and use a good self echting primmer and they should take paint well but Im kinda doughting that it will hold up. these wheels are almost new they arent even scratched but they just dont have the look Im after, besides nobody seems to like chrome much on focuses. Id trade them for a good set of six spoke svts if a deal came my way though.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Would sandblasting take chrome off? If so that would probably be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Do you have any pics of your current wheels.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Maybe not sand but media blast, since sand blasting isn't good on alloy wheels. The shop I took mine too used plastic beads.

Anyway, the etching primer is actually a good idea. Etching primer is made for adhearing to metal. And I can vouch for it. I used etching primer on my front grills and then painted them black followed by clear. Well the clear and black eventually started chipping away but the etching primer was still in tact!

But definitely sand them well before, I'd say no more than 300 grit would be good.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thats true I probably should just sell them and get some different ones cause they are still like new cond. no I dont have pictures but could take some If need be you can see them on the American Racing site they are (type SR chrome 17x7) Only issue with the wheels- the center caps need replaced wheel cleaner done the number on them last summer I sanded them and painted them flat black. but new ones are $12.00 a piece.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Yeah good idea, craigs list it.

I bet b16sir1991 could get you a nice tire/wheel package, unless you wanted to keep the tires you have now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to do something but I may wait a little while on painting them cause they really are nice wheels may end up putting them on craigs list they should sell cause they are dual drilled 4/108--4/100 will fit several cars. I think they would look good on a lowered 08 focus the rite color what ever that is. not liquid grey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts