470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up these at Wallyworld (walmart) last night:

Gloss black Krylon Plastic spraypaint $3.97 per can:

Handheld spraypaint can sprayer $1.97 each:

Before painting and after tape was applied:

After painting 5 light coats and 1 medium coat:

The results:

I let the paint dry 35-60 minutes after each coat. I did NOT sand the chrome mainly because I just wanted to see the results of what the final product would look like with minimal effort. There's no clearcoat or primer either. I'll leave it be as long as the paint stays on the grille. The minute it chips or scratches I'll do the entire sand/primer/paint/clearcoat/adhering treatment. [thumb]

Thoughts? Not bad for $3.97+$1.97+sales tax. [:D]

·
Registered
759 Posts
Is the finish mat or glossy?

The 5 bucks you spent on paint and grips is better than the 50 bucks for the ST color match grill.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
nice i like it, good job [thumb]
you should put some type of clearcoat on it though

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dannybohhy said:
Is the finish mat or glossy?

The 5 bucks you spent on paint and grips is better than the 50 bucks for the ST color match grill.
I bought the gloss black but it finished more flat black and not smoothe. I actually like the look and feel of it...but that's just me. I preferred to get flat black but they were out of stock so I settled for gloss black.

OrangeSVTguy said:
nice i like it, good job [thumb]
you should put some type of clearcoat on it though
I might, it depends on if the paint starts dulling because of Texas heat and overall weather.

Thanks for the compliments guys. [thumb]

·
Registered
459 Posts
I did the same thing today... just waiting for the final clearcoat to dry and it's going back on. Yours looks good- hope mine does too.

·
Registered
759 Posts
a gloss clear coat would work wonders to make a faux ST grill, thanks for the inspiration

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jhess74 said:
I did the same thing today... just waiting for the final clearcoat to dry and it's going back on. Yours looks good- hope mine does too.
Don't forget to post your pics too lol. Maybe your camera is higher quaity than my cell phone. [;)]

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'll put up some pics, probably tomorrow. Since it's this late already, I think I'll just let the clearcoat harden up overnight.

Actually, as far as the camera goes, I do have a fairly nice one (6.1 megapixel) that I bought mainly to get pics of my car up here. Problem is, the pics have so much detail that the file size is too much to upload here. So I was actually planning to use my cell to get pics of the grille. Technology is a PITA sometimes...

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
can we get a shot a bit further away? im looking at doing this or getting the ST grill and would love to see how all that black looks from a bit of a distance...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would but my cell phone camera really sucks...I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow during the daylight. Maybe Friday I can get my brother to take a few more pics. Oh and I plan to have it debadged hopefully by this weekend...but it's still uncertain.

jhess74, take the pics from the camera with medium resolution and load them up into Photoshop and reduce the image size by 50% and then go Fle -> Save for Web and choose JPEG quality 75%. That's what I did to get my higher quality pics in my gallery to be below 600kb.

·
Registered
459 Posts
JCE, I'll take the pics, but don't have photoshop, so I'll figure something else out- I'll ask one of the guys at work today how to re-size the pics on a mac, and post them when I get home.

Just FYI, too.. I put the grille on just now to take a look b4 work, and I think I'm going to go flat instead of gloss w/ clearcoat. The clear's just too hard to get even, so the shine is a little spotty. Seems like the matte would look tougher, anyway.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Allright folks... here are the pics of the clearcoated black grille. Somehow it actually looks better in the pics than it does in reality. On some of these, you can also see the custom shorty antenna... got that from the how-to's here.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a shot farther away...and as predicted my cell phone quality makes it almost hard to tell...

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
JCE, that looks good. Like I said earlier, I'm digging the less shiny grille. I picked up a can of the Rust-O-Leum matte black plastic paint and that funky paint gun type nozzle you had... I just might give that a try next weekend if I'm still sketchy on the glossy grille.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts