Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a can of cheap black 1200F paint for barbecue grills and spray painted the rear (visible from behind) muffler flat black.
So i just used my little oil change ramps on the back wheels to get it all up a little bit. some cardboard to cut down on overspray, and sprayed away. Go the sides and exhaust tip black, and all the visible portions of that rear muffler.
Better looking now than with the silvery ugly thing sticking down under the rear bumper.
Took all of ten minutes start to finish.

Added later: I am tech-poor. that is taking a pic with the cellphone i do not own is hard to do. i have a good camera i do not really know how to use since i never use it.
make sense? so not pics. sorry.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agreed, PICS! I was looking at mine the other day and wondering about this.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Bought a can of cheap black 1200F paint for barbecue grills and spray painted the rear (visible from behind) muffler flat black.
So i just used my little oil change ramps on the back wheels to get it all up a little bit. some cardboard to cut down on overspray, and sprayed away. Go the sides and exhaust tip black, and all the visible portions of that rear muffler.
Better looking now than with the silvery ugly thing sticking down under the rear bumper.
Took all of ten minutes start to finish.
That was one of my first mods. I used some graphite colored wheel paint (it matches my HyperBlack wheels) that I had in the garage just to hide the part that you can see under the bumper. A $20 stainless exhaust tip later and I had the look I wanted.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I like the idea! Since my car is black and already has the chrome SES tip it'll help disguise the lunchbox. Didn't want to remove it as I like it quiet.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Elizabeth: Added later: I am tech-poor. that is taking a pic with the cellphone i do not own is hard to do. i have a good camera i do not really know how to use since i never use it.
make sense? so not pics. sorry.
don't you have any friends that are tech-savy that could help?? you seem to do a lot to your car, but we have never seen any pictures... you post an extreme amount and actually "seeing your car" would be pretty cool i think with how much you talk about it.. =)

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes! We need to know it's not a "phantom" automobile! [;)] Call in a professional (aka neighbor) and get some pics! [^]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Agreed because now I want to do this! lol

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
phamtom automobile?
yeah. you got me.
I really am not a 2012 Focus owner...
I am actually not even Human!

I live in a big tank in Area51.... They let me play with a computer because i cooperate..
I was only a baby when our spaceship crashed on your planet... [bootyshak

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
phamtom automobile?
yeah. you got me.
I really am not a 2012 Focus owner...
I am actually not even Human!

I live in a big tank in Area51.... They let me play with a computer because i cooperate..
I was only a baby when our spaceship crashed on your planet... [bootyshak
lol! nice

·
Registered
505 Posts
Must be something in the water in SE WI. Elizabeth sounds just like the people I deal with at Fairbanks Morse in Beloit. Just to be safe I should only drink beer next time I visit the factory.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Finally had time to paint the lunchbox. Took 15 minutes and I used a can of high temperature stove/bbq paint I already had. Looks nice, the lunchbox just sort of disappears under the blcak car against the suspension. Nice tip and I take back what I said about SE Wisconsin.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Pictures of muffler painted flat black

I scuffed the pipes and muffler lightly with scotchbrite, taped/masked around the muffler and sprayed two light coats of Rust-Oleum High Heat flat black (BBQ paint). I forgot to degrease with a cleaner so we'll see how long it lasts.

I really like the way it turned out. I considered putting a Stainless tip on the pipe but would like to see some examples. If you have a chrome or Stainless tip on your pipe, please post pictures and include what brand and where you got the tip.

Thanks

·
Registered
573 Posts
2012sel, you did a great job. Now I'm thinking of doing it.

What type of plug do you have in your hitch? Do you think its a good idea to have one? I thought maybe it would trap snow from the front.

·
Registered
511 Posts
cuke2u, thanks for the video. Looks good!

Faygo Focus, Thanks. The hitch is not open from the front. I bought the "Hidden Hitch" brand from etrailers.com and it's a very basic rubber "Hidden Hitch" plug that came with the order by default. Also, my order came with the draw bar that I'll probably never use. I just use the hitch for a bike rack and love having it instead of a roof rack or putting the bike in the back of the car.

As far as the hitch trapping moisture, the hitch pin holes could let in the weather. I'm not too concerned about that though. Hitches do get rusty no matter what and it will likely need repainting in 5 years. I've had hitches on my vehicles before and they never came close to losing structural integrity due to rusting.

·
Registered
573 Posts
2012sel, I think you're right there, thanks...

I am going to order one of these and maybe grab 2 plugs for the pin holes at the hardware store...

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
My last car's exhaust literally broke in half while I was driving. The car was 9 years old. I don't know if that's premature for an exhaust pipe failure, but I wasn't pleased with it...

How much will this help to prevent rust? And if it's a lot - how much of the exhaust should I paint?

·
Registered
747 Posts
My last car's exhaust literally broke in half while I was driving. The car was 9 years old. I don't know if that's premature for an exhaust pipe failure, but I wasn't pleased with it...

How much will this help to prevent rust? And if it's a lot - how much of the exhaust should I paint?
sadly the dang things rust from the inside out :(

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
sadly the dang things rust from the inside out :(
NOOO!!!!!!! Hmm, I never thought of that. Stupid water vapor/combustion process...

Though, I'm sure the salty streets up here don't help!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts