Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided a while ago that I wanted to paint my mirror caps and door handles atlantic blue to match the car, and also paint the mirror bases and window pillars gloss black. I'm about half way through now, mirror caps are done, and door handles need a final wetsanding/polish. Then I'll get started on painting the black pieces.

this was taken before a final coat of blue and 5 coats of clear...

I've also got the interior dismantled to get the door handles off. While I'm at it im also re-attaching the stock wood trim pieces to the door panels, and giving everything a good cleaning. Installing an SVT e-brake handle too!

More pics to come of the finished product![8D]

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
ooo exciting...i hope to see some pictures all together

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Looks sweet. I want to paint my door handles, but I don't know how to open my doors without the handles while they're being painted, lol.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Looks good!

For some reason when i spray the duplicolor clear it always comes out hazey. Im probably doing it wrong.

Is the caps and handles completely smooth or do they still have that texture?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
looks great!!!!!

i will soon do mine, im on round two lol. i sprayed to heavy and now i have to restart.

hhmmmmm... looks like someone stole my idea.... and maybe perfected it lol

vs

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!

abnormal: She's almost 9 years old! with plenty of character...

trailbikerider: When you take the handle off all you have to do is reach a finger into the hole and pull back on a little metal bar and the door pops open.

KeepItKauai: Caps and handles were completely sanded smooth by me, it took much longer than I anticipated. Started out with 240 grit and moved all the way up to 2000 grit. Mine aren't coming out hazy because I'm using 5-6 coats of clear, and then I'm wetsanding the clear with 1500 and 2000 grit, followed by a rubbing compound, then a polishing compound. The mirror caps turned out just about as glossy as the stock paint.

DeadlyDean: Yea man! I saw your thread a while ago and remembered the general concept of what you did. Then I took one of the only boxes I had to work with and tried to position everything all on the one box. I used rubber bands to hang the handles, and they rotated with whatever side I rotated the box onto, so I was able to shoot all angles.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
BTW I ordered my blue paint from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/. I wasnt able to find my paint code anywhere in a spray can so I ordered a couple cans custom mixed from this site and the match is perfect, even with all the metallic flake that is in atlantic blue.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Thats going to look awsome. Thats exactly how I've always said I'm going to do mine.
Having the rest of the mirror gloss black looks so much better than the black plastic.

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
love your car, seen pics on here a few times and looks great. good job, this will just clean things up a touch more! can't wait to see the finished project!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
DeadlyDean: Yea man! I saw your thread a while ago and remembered the general concept of what you did. Then I took one of the only boxes I had to work with and tried to position everything all on the one box. I used rubber bands to hang the handles, and they rotated with whatever side I rotated the box onto, so I was able to shoot all angles.
damn thats a good idea!

and my paint was from www.expresspaint.com

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That site charges $24 for an 11oz. aerosol, while the site I purchased from sells a 12oz. can for $20.

How was the paint match from expresspaint.com?

·
Registered
774 Posts
glowin - love the ideas, looks like good work too! Nice job man.

Looks like my driveway/my car on any given night between April and December, lol.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That site charges $24 for an 11oz. aerosol, while the site I purchased from sells a 12oz. can for $20.

How was the paint match from expresspaint.com?
if i didnt paint so heavy it comes out pretty good. it needs very light coats of paint.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I'm debating about doing it myself or having it done professionally. It'll last longer with the second option, but also cost quite a bit more. I think If I do a rattle can job, the clear will eventually wear off from being touched so much.

·
Ehh...
6,265 Posts
im not gonna do the handles cuz my car is black anyways, but....it would add a touch of class. lovin the great job that ur doing. cant wait to see the final product

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Ahhh i see. My clear kept getting hazier and hazier [dunno]

I might use Mr. Hobby clear to experiment lol.

About how long did it take to sand one handle smooth?

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KeepItKauai: Well I think I spent at least 2 hours sanding down the textured black plastic on the handles and lock caps by hand. Trust me when I say this project is a real BITCH if you want the handles to be as smooth as glass, lol...

As far as your hazy clear is concerned... Go pick up some 2000 grit sand paper and some rubbing/polishing compound at your local auto parts store. Let the 2000 grit soak in water for a minute or two, then try sanding the clear under running water until it is smooth (the clear will look hazy still until you polish it). Then polish it up and see what you get. In my experiences this is the only way to get a factory quality paint job out of a spray can. Lots of prep and finishing work to be done.

Just now I got done wetsanding the clear on the handles, as smooth as glass, took me another 2 hours, moving real slow sanding a bit at a time to make sure I didnt sand to much and get into the blue paint. My hands are wrinkly prunes right now from the wetsanding, and I still have to wetsand those little door lock caps. I hope to have everything finished up tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts