Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to do this for a bit....I odered a spare set to paint, and they came in......so here it is: [:)]

used Krylon "for plastic" red paint, and crystal clear krylon clearcoat....3 coats of the red, 2 coats of the clear.....

Door open:

door closed:

Closeup:

Matches perfectly.....I sanded down the "wrinkle texture" halfway....so It wasn't as obvious...looks really good......

I don't want too much red inside, abut I thought this would give it the "saleen" door inset look [thumb]

I like it, and I have a spare set if I don't like it after awhile as well......

comments?

·
Forced to move on...
6,916 Posts
I like it!! [:D]

I need to redo mine, someone hit the handle with their foot and scraped the paint [:(!]

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ I am waiting for that day.....argh.......

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
looks good, prolyl camera but is seems pink, but i like it, i wanna do mine soon

gj bluey [thumb]

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
looks good. i agree that it seems brighter than the inserts, but i'm sure in person it looks much better. overall nice job [thumb]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
i like it! matches the red. Ive had mine silver, then black, now cf.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I like it! I'd try that on mine, but my painting skills are not so good.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
NICE! I plan on doing that to mine, but cant remember if you have to remove the entire panel. I hope not, it was a major PITA to do. Very good job, looks great man!

·
Registered
572 Posts
good job... but you should paint some more pieces... not ALL of them.. but maybe a couple more... like the A/C vent rings or something... those handles look lonely. but it looks like you did a quality job. tbone... doing that part is easy as hell.. it just pops right out for painting.. you don't have to take anything else apart.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dunno who it came out looking pinkish......DEF red in person...just like the car.....

I don't know what else to paint red.....I was THINKING the center dash cluster....or maybe JUST the stereo adapter piece...I dunno......I will think about it......

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Looks good, nice splash of red without being too much! I painted mine, but was lazy and didn't prep properly on the softer plastic, so they're all chippy. My other pieces are standing up perfect and they've been painted longer.

I gotta get a replacement pair to swap out, the chip/peel look just doesn't do it for me!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
hey bluey, what kinda prep work did the plastic need?

I want to do the door handle inserts, AC vent rings, and stereo bezel in gloss black, how do u guys think itd look?

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used model sanding paper....pretty fine....I sanded about half the texture off, to smooth it down a little but, and painted them with Krylon "no prep Plastic Paint"......3-4 coats of that, sanding in between each coat....dry time 15 min each coat. finished with 2 coats for Krylon crystal clear clearcoat......not too glossy.....matches sheen nicely inside....

I would do the vent ringd, and the center dash, and maybe even the cluster surround, but I don't want it to be too much, so this should be fine for now.......

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
the shop painting my car is giving me a pint of the body paint so my interior will match the out side perfectly. They look nice when you paint them I think it is a awesome cheep mod.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya know, I almost thought of doing that....then I could do the vents, the cluster surround, and the handles, and it wouldn't be too much.......hey, I can always do the other peieces black [;)] I think I like the red on the doors though....

WELCOME to FF!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts