Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some type of custom lights. What i really want to do, is get these chrome euro-type brake lights and paint between-the-lights to match my car. If i can get this to work, i think i'd look pretty bada$$. If anyone has any ideas where i can find a product ready to paint, let me know... otherwise, could i get the normal altezza-type light, take off the cover on the back and paint it?

THANKS!

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I've actually DONE this before as well my buddy has. A bodyshop can mask it off easily for you and paint it to match your car, actually looks very pro in the end. I did them myself and it also worked very very well. We've both sold them so no pics but it can be done very easily.

We painted on the TOP of them, didn't take them apart or anything.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
So you took yours apart and painted them??? On the sedan above. I need to do something with my tails to make them match better. Cuz i have black headlights so it looks funny now.

·
That Iowa Guy
6,147 Posts
You know they have some that come black already inside of them. Focusgold2001 you didn't paint those did you? They look like the carbon fiber APC ones....

·
Registered
507 Posts
those are the chrome one i have since 2002, why paid for a new set of tail light if i can paint them for nearly free?!?

anyway, my friend have the carbon one, they are not enough dark to match my black KS projector color,

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You think you could give me directions on how to do it and what supplies i need.....i would like to do it but i dont want to screw up.

·
Registered
507 Posts
1badassfoci said:
You think you could give me directions on how to do it and what supplies i need.....i would like to do it but i dont want to screw up.
needed:
-sanding paper 1000
-masking tape and paper
-heat gun
-flat screw driver
-paint (spray cans)
-urethane
-digital cam [:D]

steps:
-remove the tail lights
-deseal the lens with a heat gun and a flat screw driver
-sand the housing (that help the paint to stick better)
-cover the brake light, turn signal light, reflectors and the reverse light zone with paper and masking tape
-paint the housing
-let the paint dry
-reseal the lens with uretane
-let them dry a whole day
-install the tail light on the car
-take pics and post them here [thumb]

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Could you tell me what kind of eurthane or whatever you would get and where you would find it at??? Thanks!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts