Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will paint thinner hurt a powder coat? the reason i am asking is recently i bouaght a new set of black rims. so i clearcoated them to make them a bit tougher and the only problem is when i put them back in the box (waiting on new tires) the cover that came with them left imprints on the clearcoat. (i guess it wasnt completely dry. but i want to redo them and was wondering if the paint thinner would hurt the black clear coat?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I wouldn't think so, considering its baked on. You should probably contact a shop that does powdercoating and check with someone who knows what they're talking about. It might not take it off like it does to paint, but it could haze the powder coat or screw it up enough that you'd have to have them re-done.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't think it hurts it but I could be wrong. The only wheels I have seen powdercoated that got paint thinner on them were silver, and they turned out fine afterwards, but I would check just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i called a powder coating place and they said it was just like paint and paint thinner will hurt it. soo all you how want to do it dont.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts