Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Keep the Machs stock!

Votes: 9 69.2%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I'm considering a lot of painting options for winter projects this year, wheels and now Mach HIDs.

Thus begs the question, paint the Machs or leave them alone?

My wagon is Infra Red, and although some may consider going body color, for me it's black or stock. I find the stock Machs really stand out, but the black painted ones are sportier.

I'm leaning towards black, but once they are painted there will be no turning back the clock. So..............................

Paint the Machs black or keep'em stock?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
stock. they look fine the way they are. plus those headlights arent made anymore, so you mess up and then what?

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
There is some painted ones in the bst. check them out. I think they look hawt.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Although blacked Machs are HOT, I actually think stock Machs look REALLY good on Infra Red - I'd leave 'em chrome for a while (until you either grow to love 'em or realize you MUST paint 'em).

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All very good points. I do like the look of the stock Machs on Infra red. And yes, mucking up a set of rare headlights is questionable. True to the point, black painted may appear to be cheap ebay lights on Infra as well.

As one can see, this isn't an easy question to answer. I forgot to mention I have to have at least ne on the headlights apart to swap a lense...hence the painting option being thrown into the mix.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As stated above...I'd see if you can switch out for the ones in the BST section.
I did see the Infra ones in BST. But I decided to stay away from body color match. If I ever want to sell them for something else, I don't want to have a more difficult time.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I think if you paint them with a high gloss black it would look good. I've seen some in dull black and it looked like trash IMO......

Throw in a couple red inserts or pin stripes maybe? But a gloss black is the way I'd go (and plan on with my cheapy ebays).

(and man, I gotta show you some pics with the hood duct in, looks great and works great too)

·
Registered
301 Posts
stock. they look fine the way they are. plus those headlights arent made anymore, so you mess up and then what?
i agree with matt, but i like black better than chrome. i have thought about, actually bought all the stuff to do it. just never summoned the courage.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gloss black with a red accent around the reflectors, just a thin line

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have to agree with some of the first posts. I would not try and crack open a set of great as-is headlights just to paint them. Its not like you can just run down to AutoZone and pick up a new set if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Paint YES!!!

TEXTURED FLAT BLACK; GLOSS RINGS AND SLOTTING (3M Headlight Lens Restore Kit also)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm a NEW BOOT!!!

yeah fo' sho'

Got tha low-down on paintin' from UTAHSVT; chrome plastic is soooooo laaame...

feelin' all good 'bout these- wanna post pics installed, but I'll catch hell on a busted fascia I'm WIP on replacin' (no luck less than $345)

Reactions: redSVT_03

·
Stuff about Florida
2,595 Posts
yeah fo' sho'

Got tha low-down on paintin' from UTAHSVT; chrome plastic is soooooo laaame...

feelin' all good 'bout these- wanna post pics installed, but I'll catch hell on a busted fascia I'm WIP on replacin' (no luck less than $345)
Check with Steve at Tousley Ford. Tell him your from FF. If I remember correctly his price should be less than $345.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Cool man, looks good. Kinda tough to see the contrast of flat and gloss in the pic but I bet they look sweet in person. Glad you made the decision to go for it!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts