Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to:

a) Spray my chrome trim around my stock grille black and I'm thinking about using gloss black ceramic engine enamel paint to resist peeling and heat. Yes? ... No? Should I buy some spray clearcoat as well?

b) Smoking my tail lights @ corner lights darker grey to try and match my exterior color. What's the best spray paint brand to use? Again with the clearcoat--yes or no?

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Get that chrome sanded off first, then use, well that paint prolly be okay, or like a Plasticoat, or duplicolor. And yes, definately a clearcoat over it. Bout 3, or 4 coats of it, if not more. As far as tinting, or smoking the lenses, I havn't done it, but most people like to use night shade.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The paint you suggested will work fine. In all reality, it's more about the patience and time you take to paint than the paint itself. Make several light coats of paint, even if it hardly looks painted after the first coat. I normally do about 5 coats. But it's really up to you and how it looks after the first couple. Then 2-3 light clear coats shall finish the job.

Just take your time and it'll pay off.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick question before I start painting. What grit sandpaper do I need to remove the chrome and then smooth it out?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
600/800, Just sand/wetsand it to remove that glossy finish. No need to remove the entire chrome paint... Just scuff up the surface really good so you can no longer see that mirror-reflection..

2 thin coats of adhesion promoter, or etching primer should make the paint bond well enough to not crack for hopefully the life-time of the car.

With etching primer + duplicolor paint... My wheels haven't flaked or peeled in the past 2 years.

·
Registered
464 Posts
check out my gallery i have pics of my grille painted black

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric D said:
check out my gallery i have pics of my grille painted black
Looks great. Any tips you can give me?

Oh and thanks Foci_Fosho for the much needed info. [thumb]

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
600/800, Just sand/wetsand it to remove that glossy finish. No need to remove the entire chrome paint... Just scuff up the surface really good so you can no longer see that mirror-reflection..

2 thin coats of adhesion promoter, or etching primer should make the paint bond well enough to not crack for hopefully the life-time of the car.

With etching primer + duplicolor paint... My wheels haven't flaked or peeled in the past 2 years.
Good advice. Adhesion Promotor is one of those things that are often forgotton about and will cause to the paint peel/flake off.

---Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts