Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know if anyone else is having paint quality issues. I have the '12 Ti in Tuxedo Black and have had several paint chips. The ones on the hood I could live with but have also had a few on the roof towards the rear, an area that, in theory, should be immune.

I read the thread on here earlier that alluded to a few people having issues, but then evolved into a "which bra is better" conversation. I'd like to see if anyone else is having similar problems. Water-based paints was brought up as a possible cause, but before I check with the dealer on this, want to see if it's a one off case or a symptom of a larger issue.

Thanks!
BC

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same paint on my Ti and yes, many paint chips. Hood and fender areas. =(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes, paint quality/application on my car was terrible. Dirt, from the factory was "painted over", the paint on the fuel filler door has bubbles on it. On the rear hatch, the paint also has bubbles and tiny holes because the paint was applied too thick. And the kicker? I paid "extra" for the White Platinum Tri-Coat metallic. Not happy at all!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I have more chips on this car in 3 months than I've ever had in any previous car I've owned for 4 years. And some of the chips are on the roof. Thing is, I haven't even heard anything hit the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the only thing i heard hit was a big piece of tire from a semi trucks tire exploding in front of me and there wasnt any scratches, dents or marks of any kind, i was really surprised

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have not had chipping but then I have a magnabra on the hood most of the time. No chip problems on the front airdam but then again, I have been lucky enough not to get a rock shower yet.

Standing back a bit, the paint overall looks great but on closer inspection, there is quite a bit of orange peel on several panels so I would only give my paint job a "B". This was a bit disappointing since I paid $400 extra for the Red Candy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My car is race red. I think the paint job is excellent. I've found no orange peel and no chips after 6500 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't really looked mine over closely lately to check out the front but all the chipping doesn't surprise me. I had a 2008 Honda Fit that looked like someone shot it with buckshot. This is a common issue with them and probably has part in due to the paint but also the slope of the hood (steep). The Focus is no where as steep so I was hoping for less but nothing will surprise me I suppose.

·
Registered
157 Posts
had my Blue candy for less than a week, 2 chips on the hood and one on drivers door above and to the right of the door handle, NOT TOO HAPPY FOR 28,000 FOCUS

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, stone chips are stone chips, how can this be down to paint quality?
Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
They've been using water based paing since sometime in 2008 or so ... the water based paints chip easier than petroleum based paints. I've seen the same issue on many newer cars, not just Fords.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm having the same problems. I've been making my daily commute for 3 years and never had problems with paint chips. I've only had the focus a couple months and I've have about 3 or 4 chips. I hand wash my car myself in the summer so I always take notice about things like this. Bad paint/application process.

·
Registered
533 Posts
They've been using water based paing since sometime in 2008 or so ... the water based paints chip easier than petroleum based paints. I've seen the same issue on many newer cars, not just Fords.
Hi, I've had stone chips since the early 90's, I see this Focus no different to any other car I've owned. I'm afraid we just all have to live with it.
Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yup! I have some! Im having them repaint the fuel filler door. I've have alist of 11 things already wrong with our car and weve only had it a week! Some are very minor but the whistling noise is insane! Now I have a sqeaking / chirping noise coming for the car! We should have stayed with Japaneese cars. So much for giving domestics a chance again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, I've had stone chips since the early 90's, I see this Focus no different to any other car I've owned. I'm afraid we just all have to live with it.
Chris
If it was chips from stones, like I said in my original post, I could understand and live with it. However, when chips are popping up in places that in theory, should be immune from stone damage (i.e., the rear part of the roof), that's why the questions. I'm sticking with the water based paint theory.

Ah the days of yore, when hitting a stone wasn't an immediate "chip".

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes, I echo everyone else here. I have Kona Blue and have 5-6 chips on the hood and bumper, and I stay far away from everyone as I can. 6000 miles.

Before this car, I had a 2010 Fusion with what sounds like excellent paint quality compared, only 2-3 chips after 34,000 miles of driving the same highways.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have 4 or 5 chips on the front bumper. It is chipping a bit faster than my old Focus (driven down the same highway), but is similar to my Mazda3 (very fragile paint on that car). I guess that it's a fact of life, as Chris said.

Could it be down to a different, more environmentally friendly paint?

By the way, after delivery I discovered a (minor) 1cm scratch under (?!) the clearcoat on the right rear door. This is barely noticeable so I'm not going to have it repaired (not worth it).

·
Registered
533 Posts
If it was chips from stones, like I said in my original post, I could understand and live with it. However, when chips are popping up in places that in theory, should be immune from stone damage (i.e., the rear part of the roof), that's why the questions. I'm sticking with the water based paint theory.

Ah the days of yore, when hitting a stone wasn't an immediate "chip".
Hi, what makes you think that the rear part of the roof should be immune from stone chips, it has the same paint on it as the rest of the car. Maybe there is something else going on with your paint, then it wouldn't be stone chips. I'm afraid your days of 'yore' are well past it's sell by date it would seem. A couple of year ago I drove past a grasscutter that was yards away, on the other side of the road, which threw something up and it hit one of my rear doors, this was on my Mk4 Mondeo. It left a couple of chips marks on the door that were clearly visible.
Chris

·
Registered
157 Posts
i took mine to my local dealer and they say ford will cover my chips, i have one on my drivers door, no way possible to explain how it got there, not even at a spot where another door getting smashed into it could have caused it.... we need to keep going and complaining then ford will notice and keep fixing our problems.... they already talked about repainting my hood, bumper and drivers side....

1 - 20 of 159 Posts