Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i been searching the net for about 2 hours now i'm looking to try and get a silver paint matched grille or even the surround for my 06 i hate the chrome but keep coming up empty handed,anyone have any ideas post em up [thumb]

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Mike at Hilbish Ford:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=94

You can call him at 800-849-0233. The best times to catch him is between 9AM - 11AM, or 4PM - 6PM ET. He gets us discounted prices on OEM parts. A CD Silver/Silver Frost, (same color) grille will run you about $70-$77 with shipping, (the regular price is $116.92).

Reactions: roosterst

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I was just lucky when I was searching for my black-colored surround grill piece; guy on here just happened to be selling one when I was looking for one. Either post in the WTB what you're looking for, or hit up ebay... It'll be cheaper than paying a ridiculously-high $70 for a colored piece of plastic. Just make sure where ever you buy from that it's factory colored, and not spray-painted by someone. The spray-painted ones have been known to flake after time if not painted properly. Good luck in your quest, my friend.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i'm still searching around found an e-bay one with silver insert and black surround: no clue if it factory painted though[:)~]

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
You'll only find the black and chrome in the cheaper aftermarket grilles. If you want red, silver, or grey, you have to get it from Ford.

·
фанатик
5,056 Posts
Mike at Hilbish Ford:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=94

You can call him at 800-849-0233. The best times to catch him is between 9AM - 11AM, or 4PM - 6PM ET. He gets us discounted prices on OEM parts. A CD Silver/Silver Frost, (same color) grille will run you about $70-$77 with shipping, (the regular price is $116.92).
Thanks [thumb]

So, a true ST surround is molded in it's appropriate color?

I had a shop paint my surround a few months ago. Today I noticed some of the paint has chipped off. I'll gladly pay $80ish for a molded one, instead of $40 for someone to paint it again.

Sorry to threadjack. [smackbum]

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
i have liquid grey one on my car, im considering and getting a black one, or chrome one. if u decide u want to get rid of the grille surround let me know, i want to get it dip coated

·
Registered
9 Posts
you can separate the chrome piece from the black mesh piece. I pulled mine apart and sanded it down, primed, then dropped it of at a local paint shop charged me something like 50 bucks to paint it body color. put it all together and no more ugly chrome

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rock Auto sells an unpainted black plastic grille for $13.51 search #4L3Z8200BAQ under part number search. If you are good with a paint can, it shouldn't be too difficult to paint CD silver. The paint will adhere MUCH better to the black plastic, versus the stock chrome plated plastic.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks [thumb]

So, a true ST surround is molded in it's appropriate color?

I had a shop paint my surround a few months ago. Today I noticed some of the paint has chipped off. I'll gladly pay $80ish for a molded one, instead of $40 for someone to paint it again.

Sorry to threadjack. [smackbum]
The grills are not molded in coloured plastic, they are made of a standard black automotive plastic, similiar to bumpers, and then painted at the factory. Its next to impossible to mold plastic that will accurately match paint, let alone metallic paint.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hit the chrome part with some fine sand paper to scuff it up, clean it realllly good, then they sell an etching primer just from chrome pieces and put a couple coats of that on, then paint it with any silver paint and clear it...i did it to my side vents on my 08 focus i painted my grille black on my 08 focus from chrome also

·
фанатик
5,056 Posts
The grills are not molded in coloured plastic, they are made of a standard black automotive plastic, similiar to bumpers, and then painted at the factory. Its next to impossible to mold plastic that will accurately match paint, let alone metallic paint.
Thanks.

Hmmm, I really don't want to have it painted every six months. Maybe that Rock Auto one would work better. [mecry]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts