Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mod is something I've wanted to try for a while....but I had trouble finding a red/orange vinyl to match the seats. I settled for this from a fabric store....it's close. To increase the padding effect, I added a piece of foam headliner from the same place. This goes between the new red vinyl and the stock pad.

First remove the armrest assy (two screws). Then remove the top pad (eight screws). You could just remove the top pad without removing the complete assy.......

After that, you cut out the two pieces. The foam material is just on the top, and does not go around the sides.

Now for the hard part.....attaching the red vinyl to the pad. I did it with duct tape around the inside. When it's firmly in place, you reinstall the bottom section. The six screws will hold the vinyl tightly. Getting it to look nice requires some time.

This is my first attempt at this device. It really feels much better on your arm than the stock pad. When/if I find another piece of red vinyl that's a closer match to the seats, I'll do this over. Right now it looks pretty good.....

Happy modding.....

·
I'm Back!
2,304 Posts
^^ Nice job [thumb] I have some black saddle leather I plan on trying.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
turned out really nicely and matches very well.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man you're going to have trouble getting a piece of leather on there....unless it's super thin. I had a piece of red leather seat cover material off an older Z-car. No way that was going on there without a bunch of trouble.

When I went looking for a piece of red vinyl, I took the red head-rest cover into the various stores. Inside the store under artificial lights, the reds were identical. Outside under sun-light, they look slightly different. Vinyl is cheap....1/2 yd was all that was needed $7.

·
I'm Back!
2,304 Posts
Man you're going to have trouble getting a piece of leather on there....unless it's super thin. I had a piece of red leather seat cover material off an older Z-car. No way that was going on there without a bunch of trouble.

When I went looking for a piece of red vinyl, I took the red head-rest cover into the various stores. Inside the store under artificial lights, the reds were identical. Outside under sun-light, they look slightly different. Vinyl is cheap....1/2 yd was all that was needed $7.
^^Thanks for the info, maybe need to dremal slightly around the outside rim of the inside cover plate.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Looks good, but there has to be some way to get rid of the wrinkles on the sides. Maybe heat?

·
Registered
152 Posts
nice, sweet mod, as for the wrinkles i was wondering about ironing it out???maybe

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
did this in micro suede a few weeks back... both mine turned out great... ones in the car, ones in the BST area...

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
thanks it feels amazing!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^^ Looks good.....you can avoid wrinkles around the edges by using a material that has a lot of stretch to it. The vinyl does stretch somewhat, but not as much as some other available materials.

My problem...I wanted a color match, and a "look" match to the red vinyl seat cover. The only material that was even close was various vinyls I found. An easier install could be achieved with a number of other materials....

In any case....this mod could be returned to completely stock in a few minutes, and you'd never know a thing was done. Or you could try a different material. Your second try will no doubt be easier.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got tired of the slight color mismatch. So I got a piece of black micro-suede. It's an easier install....same technique.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here are the pics of my work

1 - 14 of 14 Posts