Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there guys,

I am about to invest in a new header for my 2001 Zx3. I already have a KN drop in air filter, 2.25 borla exhaust and flex, 65 mm FC TB. I DO NOT need to worry about emissions at all. My car is registered for a county that does not require it. So what header should I get? I don't want to do an SVT swap, so what are my options. I know the SVT is the best you can get, but I want the second best. Also, I have a K&N 57i Drop in air filter, would I get more power with a CAI or a short ram or with the drop in?

Thanks guys,

Robert

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I had the Pacesetter headers for my wifes zx3 and it was a big mistake. Yes there was improvements in the horse power that we could feel right off the bat, but it caused the car to overheat on long drives and it melted her fans and just was a hassel.

the headers was not heat wrapped which most likely would of helped, but I dont how much.

I would say get the SVT set up to be safe. Or FocusSport has a good looking part. Hope this helped a little

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Dont get shorty headers if u dont have to worry about emissions. Get a long tube header and make sure its a repitable company. simple as that

·
Registered
743 Posts
kamikazi has a good long tube header also. dont know if they are still around or not. if i wasnt tricked into doing the SVT conversion i would have gone with them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the pacesetter shorty and it works fine for me. I've taken 2 hour long drives in it without any overheating problems. Just be sure to use the heat sleeve provided to protect your powersteering line from the extra heat coming off the headers. There's EXTREMELY little space (if not none) between the tubes so it'd be difficult to use header wrap, but I recommend it! If you're dead set on Pacesetter, that's fine, but I think a lot of guys here go with JBA when it comes to shorties.

·
Registered
982 Posts
OBX. I got the stainless 4-2-1 long tube header from that auction site and it's been on for about 2 years with no problems...other than they turned blue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright, thank you guys. I think i am going to go with focus sport long tube. I appreciate your inputs!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i am talking to tom, and I am going to get a tune in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I was trying to find a difference between the 4-2-1 and the 4-1 in the Focus, and i seems like 4-1 = more horsepower and the 4-2-1 = more torque. I could be wrong, and I have also heard that the 4-2-1 is more mid range and the 4-1 is more high end. I figured if I am going to be racing my car, i am going to be running with higher rpms. I dont think it will make too much of a difference for me as I am not going to be turbo-ing or supercharging anytime soon. Thanks again!

·
Registered
360 Posts
i have a quick question while we are on the topic of headers. What kind of horsepower and torque range would i get with JBA shorty headers? I have a JRSC w BBK and am getting a 2.5 exhaust with high flow cat(emissions). i need some high end torque and horsepower. fyi i have an automatic. i raced my buddy with a mostly stock srt-4 only upgrade is cold airintake. and we were going from a 60 roll and once he shifted to 4fourth he was ahead by 2 cars but when he shifted to 5th i caught back up(he is a good drive) and when we raced from dead stop i had him

1 - 14 of 14 Posts