Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looking to try out a strut tower brace on the front and rear to see if it shaves off time on our next practice run. It actually felt good minus my tires sliding a fee times. Dont want to slap on a bunch of parts for no reason but I dont see how it will hurt. Looking at FSWERKS and Massive. Does anyone have any data on these two?

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fabricated tow hooks for the next race since only the Euro models supported them.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Front strut tower brace and lower stress bar put in today. Rear sway bar and rear strut tower brace will go in tomorrow. Hopefully this will translate to faster lap times Sunday.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Almost lost it on the first lap on turn 1, 3 and 4. Still had a blast and ended up taking 1st in X class and lead the series.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
How would you describe the changes to the handling from the sway bars and all that?
I honestly couldn't say. I did a host of mods at once so I couldn't say what was attributed to the sway bars or tires. I dropped over 6 seconds a lap with everything done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I honestly couldn't say. I did a host of mods at once so I couldn't say what was attributed to the sway bars or tires. I dropped over 6 seconds a lap with everything done.
From your video it seems the car is has more rotation than stock. Like in turn 1 it looks like the back started to step out on you. Is that accurate?

I'm asking because I plan on doing some of these mods myself.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
From your video it seems the car is has more rotation than stock. Like in turn 1 it looks like the back started to step out on you. Is that accurate?

Yes and no. That is because I tried a different line. It does give me a bit more oversteer but I can always turn the dampening down. I didn't put my fastest laps up because I forgot to turn the camera on during the run. These new lines are what was recommended from a friend and almost lost it a few times listening to a rwd guy. Lol

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

As you can see from the last three photos while I was in a hair pin the body roll. I'd say it is relatively minimal. I don't know if it ever kicked the back passenger in the air. The front was pretty planted. I am going to try braking in the turn next session. Everything I read for FWD racing the lines suggest brake hard in the turn. Right know I am breaking hard on approach then letting off and trying to swing it into the turn more like a RWD car. I will probably upgrade from red stuff to yellow or blue stuff pads. I feel the red stuff are good but I am not sure they will handle constant hard breaking into every corner if I try these new lines.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Very cool. Looks great! love those wheels.
Thanks. I am actually going to look at some 15 options to see if I can squeeze a 225 tire on. Right now they rub with 16s but the only option I had was 225/50r16 with the rt660s. I believe I might be able to fit a 225/50r15 and a lighter wheel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As you can see from the last three photos while I was in a hair pin the body roll. I'd say it is relatively minimal. I don't know if it ever kicked the back passenger in the air. The front was pretty planted. I am going to try braking in the turn next session. Everything I read for FWD racing the lines suggest brake hard in the turn. Right know I am breaking hard on approach then letting off and trying to swing it into the turn more like a RWD car. I will probably upgrade from red stuff to yellow or blue stuff pads. I feel the red stuff are good but I am not sure they will handle constant hard breaking into every corner if I try these new lines.
Thanks man! Great to see another person on here racing their Focus. I’m going to keep all this in mind next time I go out.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Next mods I am looking at for this winter is a Limited Slip Differential, Aluminum Flywheel and new clutch. Currently leaning towards KAAZ 1.5 way Super Q LSD. I have looked into Quaife, Torsen, TE, MH. But the KAAZ just had more information on their site that appealed to me. Has anyone had any luck with any of these and reduced their track times etc?

I will also be adding Autopower back half cage so I will be cleared to enter more events and mount proper harnesses. Last one will be the rear brake conversion. Once I have these I will get the car weighed so I can figure how much more power I can have. I am trying to match class rules for three different series including grid life. I wish these guys just used the same rules. So far the class I am currently in has the most strick power to weight restrictions. If I can max it out for this class I should still be competitive in the others.

I have the last race in my series on the 12th. They have teased adding one more. I also have a race on the 25th and in November at Arroyo Seco that I will enter before I make any of the current changes.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts