Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the car on the 23th of September for a daily commuter. I can't leave things alone so I am sure it will find its way into some form of racing. Car is a 2007 S 5pd. Ran real rough on the test drive. Shaking/vibrating with a wheel noise.

Found that the passenger side motor mount was trash. Also the steel wheels had to go. Picked up 16x7 Sparco Terra wheels wrapped in 205/50R-16 Hankook Ventus V2 from TireRack.

Next I ordered new motor mounts from FSwerks. These are the VFengineering mounts. I also picked up some Autolite 103s.

Next mods I ordered were two guage pods from Ortiz Custom Pods. Steering column and air vent. Should be getting here in a few days. Will be picking up a wideband and tachometer from autometer. And so it begins.......

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wheel noise was actually the drivers side wheel bearing. Thought it was going to be an easy job. Found that the bearing fused to the half shaft. Had to cut it and replace the knuckle and half shaft.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installed all of the motor mounts. Definitely not as smooth as the rubber stock mounts. I get a little vibration but not near as bad as when the passenger side mount ruptured. The spark plugs definitely gave it a little juice back. I was having trouble getting on the freeway before.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I wait for my pods I went to the salvage yard and picked up a new grill as someone did a bad job trying to paint the original.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my gauge pods in. They are pretty sweet. The rpm guage is nicely centered in the cluster and I can see mph great. Wiring the tach was a little work but it came out good. Took me 3.5 hrs.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just did the cold air intake. Did not realize how much crap the stock box had. Tomorrow I will probably install the FSWERKS race exhaust and EBC rotors and pads for the front.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out with the old and in with the new. The race header should be here tomorrow and I will install a high flow converter where the second converter was located. Brakes install will be tomorrow or Tuesday.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Added a XFO 100 cell catalytic converter to stay in compliance with SCCA STS rules. Soon as I get my base tune from Tom I will install the FSWERKS header.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put some fresh head lights in. Starting to look pretty good. Got base tune in from Tom. Header is going in. Hopefully it not too crazy with the converter in. I have a cone silencer if it is too much. Out with the old and in with the new.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Cool! Since it's a commuter, I would look for the Ford Racing springs and shocks. You also may want to change the upper motor mounts back to stock, the little vibrations that the poly mounts cause will drive you crazy. DIY short shifter is really cheap, and makes the car more fun to drive (if it's a stick). I went and bought all new suspension arms off of RockAuto that came with all new rubber bushings...that will help tighten up the suspension a little bit. After that, get a good alignment. Do the balance shaft delete while you have the oil pan off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man, I got to get me another ZX3; I miss mine. Forgot how easy they are to mod!

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool! Since it's a commuter, I would look for the Ford Racing springs and shocks. You also may want to change the upper motor mounts back to stock, the little vibrations that the poly mounts cause will drive you crazy. DIY short shifter is really cheap, and makes the car more fun to drive (if it's a stick). I went and bought all new suspension arms off of RockAuto that came with all new rubber bushings...that will help tighten up the suspension a little bit. After that, get a good alignment. Do the balance shaft delete while you have the oil pan off.
I have custom coilovers from Ksport being made (their AR coilovers). Should arrive in a week or two. Motor mounts dont bother me at all. I thought about a short shifter but it honestly feels fine at the height it is at. For autocross I will pretty much be in second the whole time. Track days wont be for a bit and they don't offer any asphalt rallies near me so it will be a while before I need to bang gears faster.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus S
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also looking at new components from massive for the suspension as I do the rear disk conversion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts