Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Motorcraft iridium plugs (SP 524's gapped at .051" as delivered), new Motorcraft plug wires and Motorcraft coil. 91 octane at al times.
Dash light for check engine.
When I take it to the shop, they have two different scanners that will not pick up the error code. When we plug in the XCAL tuner, it picks up the error code.
Funny thing is, it runs great.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Fuel, ignition or base engine. Hate to be so basic but I'd be a little concerned about your tune messing with whatever scan tool your shop is using. P0301 isn't a manufacturer code and your tune shouldn't mess with their ability to pull emissions codes. Do you have the ability to look at Mode 6? You could see the miss counts on all cylinders to see if your isssue is truly specific to #1.

·
FF Affiliate
31,101 Posts
The P should be followed by 4 numbers can you check again and do all 4 numbers

What tune are you running and have you datalogged and sent to your tuning so he can get you any changes that need to be made

I would also loose the iridium plugs for for the copper is you do performance driving

Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The P should be followed by 4 numbers can you check again and do all 4 numbers

What tune are you running and have you datalogged and sent to your tuning so he can get you any changes that need to be made

I would also loose the iridium plugs for for the copper is you do performance driving

Tom
I missed a digit. The code is P0301. And I checked compression. All four are at 182-186#'s. I'm running your tune which is for stock SVT.
It's your opinion the factory iridium plugs can't take "spirited" driving here and there? If that's the case, I'll swap plugs. What p/n & gap do you suggest?

I haven't data logged the car running. Not sure how to do that. But I'll do it ASAP if you tell me how.

I also went online on P0301 and it seems to indicate throttle body or injector? I am ready to get a 67mm as it looks like CFM finally has them in stock. But I do want to get this resolved first. No sense in upgrading performance if everything isn't to par now.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
FF Affiliate
31,101 Posts
P0301 is a misfire code cyl 1 , it could be anything tho , to much gap , cracked a plug when installed , bad wires , and on and on

If you will download the live link from www.sctflash.com and www.teamviewer.com I can take over your PC , set up the list , save the list and show you how to use it just like I was sitting in the car with you

Just let me know when a good time is and I will be ready for your call

Lets get some datalogs and see whats happening

Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the #1 spark plug 3 days ago. So far, so good!
Tom, I will get with you so you can tell me how to perform the live system test.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glad to hear it is ok so far. If it returns, Replace the PCV valve with a new Motorcraft one. It got rid of my P0301 code. There was a TSB for this i believe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Code came back. I ordered from CFM today a 67mm TB, a Motorcraft PCV and while I was at it the $346 complete SVT suspension as I wanted the new springs, struts, bearing, everything. Guess I'll have a couple of extra sway-bars.
I'm going to put the TB on. No, I don't expect it to fix the mis-fire. But I'll get Toms update and start diagnosing with the larger TB via Tom accessing my lap top.
I think I'll try the PCV first since Sonic PDX informed there is a TSB on it (thanks for the heads up!).

·
FF Affiliate
31,101 Posts
If your are doing mods , loose the PCV and vent it as well as the one to the valve cover , you dont need that hot oil air coming into the intake manifold anyway

Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good news.
When I replaced the spark plugs, I noticed the valve cover valley had oil in it. It was coming from the VCT solenoid. So this time, when I had the shop install the 67mm TB and new struts / springs all around, I said I wanted the solenoid replaced. I figured along with an oil leak, having a hydraulic system leaking that operated the camshaft could not be good. When they took off the solenoid, it was in two pieces. It literally fell apart. The replacement was a one piece unit.
Changed the TB with Tom's updated tune. Changed the trans fluid also.
Dang, what a difference! Unfortunately I can't say what made the most difference; the tune, the TB or the solenoid. But I'm sure it's all three. Shows the importance of having everything in prime running condition before playing with aftermarket items.
Flat hauls butt! What's really interesting is I can drive in 6th @ 2000 RPM and it performs fine. Not that is how I drive, I was just checking. Because before it would surge at 2500-3500 RPM in 4th. But WOT felt fine.
Now there's a lot more power in the car. I'm extremely happy and thanks Tom for offering support. I have to ask where the rev limiter is now set because it's higher than 7200 now! I've had it to 7700 according to the tach and it didn't cut the RPM. And it still is not laying down. So just how high can you take these for maximum acceleration and not damaging the engine?
And the rear struts were shot and the front had worn springs. The ride height is higher all around (I put new Ford Motorsport SVT replacements in). Handles better and doesn't scrape the right front on a hard corner anymore.
This is a really fun car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts