Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to search high and low for this code. Wasn't on the list of codes on this forum. But anyways the light goes on for 4/5 days and off for4/5 days give or take. This has done this for the past month. Had it checked Code P2274.
Ford Focus Engine / Error Code P2274
P2274 = O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean - Bank 1, Sensor 3

Ignition misfire.
Low fuel pressure.
This DTC may be caused by :
Manifold vacuum leak.
Disconnected or Damaged vacuum hose.
Restricted or Damaged fuel injector.
HO2S
Suspect PCM.

Now I checked all Vacuum hoses no cracks or leaks. That I know of. Gas mileage is right on the money. No skipping or hesitation whats so ever. Runs perfect. This all started when we have been having extreme cold weather and lots of snow storms. I thought maybe all the crap from the road hitting the O2 sensors might activate it some how. There seems very little info on this code and how to resolve
it on your own...Any ideas guys? What would make the sensor be stuck on lean?

If I need to replace the O2 sensors I see all the clips online just for the 2.0l nothing for the 2.3l Because these sensors are the back side of engine and it seems like a real pain to get to.....Any clips out there if any anybody nows of.

Thanks

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
P2274 = O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean - Bank 1, Sensor 3

Ignition misfire.
Low fuel pressure.
This DTC may be caused by :
Manifold vacuum leak.
Disconnected or Damaged vacuum hose.
Restricted or Damaged fuel injector.
HO2S
Suspect PCM.
Those possibles are wrong. Or I should say, wrong if no other codes are present.

A vacuum leak would also throw a lean code for Sensor 1. As would anything fuel or spark related.

This means the issue must happen after anything that would affect the first O2 sensor.
The 3rd measures the efficiency of the Cat; and it's odd you don't have a code for that. But if it's simply a Lean code, I'd suspect an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a P1000 code with it thats only because battery was disconnected so the PCM didn't complete a full diagnose cycle. I looked no exhaust leak....Maybe there is a vacuum leak but still didn't find it. But if there was wouldn't it idle rough? The weird thing is it runs perfect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a P2274 show up today on my 2003 2.3 Duratec. Any insight on what the problem turned out to be for you Fishnmaine?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I had a P2274 show up today on my 2003 2.3 Duratec. Any insight on what the problem turned out to be for you Fishnmaine?
fishnmaine hasnt been active here since April 2017 so I dont think you will get an answer from him.

My 05 2.0L Duratec (185K miles) gives me that code about once a month or two for a day or so then goes away. I think my 3rd 02 (O2S13) is becoming 'lazy'/intermittent because when I put my scanner on it while the CEL is on the O2S13 VDC is usually stuck low (lean).

Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Replacing the O2 sensor solved the problem for me. I couldn't readily get the old one off myself despite having a special O2 sensor socket set on hand so I wound up bringing it to my trusted garage. In hindsight I think I would have kept spraying penetrating oil on it every day for a couple weeks and trying again since the downstream sensors don't keep the car from being driveable when they fail.

There are indeed three oxygen sensors on this 2003 car with 2.3 Duratec engine. One is in the exhaust manifold, one in the middle of the catalytic convertor, and one after the convertor. I'm still trying to figure out what advantage designing the three sensors into the system has over just putting two sensors. Looking at the three sensors with FORScan, the upstream sensor output oscillates up and down from zero to one volt as expected and the two downstream sensors pretty much track together with a slight delay from sensor 2 to 3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts