Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first off, let me say I know absolutely nothing about the Focus, or Fords in general. I come, historically from Hondas and then VWs. However, with every vehicle, I've come to find great support communities, hopefully it will be the same for the Focus. My wife has a 2011 Focus SEL with a 2.0L something engine and automatic transmission. I haven't learnt enough about the Focus to learn engine codes etc.

The car has actually been quite good and started to change my misconceptions about Fords. However, amongst this COVID self isolation stuff, it let me down the other day, in a very inconvenient way. It went into limp mode in the middle of an intersection, while I had no phone. Luckily, after about a 60 minute rest it started to work normally.

Gist of it:
  • Limp mode activated at a light when I tried to accelerate. Wrench light came on, no CEL.
  • Shut down and restarted the car. Wrench light AND CEL came on. Limp mode
  • Stayed in limp mode, no matter how many times I shut it down.
  • Limped to a local Tim Horton's for some free wifi, waited 30 mins, started it. Worked normally, with CEL for about 10s, then went into limp mode.
  • Waited another 30 mins and it started with a CEL and no limp mode. Rushed home, about 10 miles at 50 mph, no issues.
  • The car has done this once 2 years ago at a stop sign. Spark plugs were replaced and MAF was cleaned out. (I was not involved)
  • The MAF looks clean
  • I've pulled code P2111 and P2135, which from what I gather, are common on the Focus.
  • I'm in Canada.
  • The car had been in storage for 8 months prior, but had run for a good 300 miles with no issues.
The car has 80k miles, but it's also 9 years old. I know there is a TSB on the throttle body, no clue if it still applies.

Just looking for some guidance on this...wondering if there is a way to fix the throttle body or if there are voltages I can compare to references to better diagnose the issues. For a VW or a Honda, I'd be able to find the shop manual online, but it's proved more complicated for the Focus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I had a look at that thread, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be the cause since the engines are quite different. I am trying to understand the flow which would cause this CEL. Maybe a lazy throttle body actuator lead to the TPS and actuator disagreeing which triggered both codes. What's very odd, is that I would also expect the car to react differently to the gas pedal, which is not the case (when it's not limping)

Is it possible that another sensor downstream is causing the error, because the ECU is using it as a reference and it disagrees with the TPS and actuator? I've had some similar weird things happen on a VW.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,207 Posts
You are overanalyzing it. Fords are pretty straightforward. It is either the throttle position switch or the gas pedal. Both can go bad. I would suggest unplugging them and cleaning with some electric contact cleaner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the feedback. AFAIK the throttle body is electronic, as there is no linkage on it.

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but what do you mean about getting a scan? I assume it's something more than what I am getting off the OBD 2 reader.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you are willing to watch YouTube videos there are some great mechanics that show you how to back probe the sensors and check for correct functionality of electronic parts. You have to be specific in your search. I corrected my post above. Yes you have a drive by wire throttle.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
And you discounted the link even though the engine management and sensors are identical on the focus and the Taurus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry mate, I guess I don't know exactly what I am looking for. The SHO link showed a video of a TB using a TPS (mechanical) and not an actuator. AFAIK...it also looks considerably different to the one on the Focus, so I assumed they were different. I'm actually having quite a lot of trouble finding the correct information, probably because I don't know what to look for. There seems to be so many different versions of the Focus throughout the world, that finding the correct information has proved illusive. So, if you'll bear with me, while I learn

1 - Live scan? Are you referring to using a scanner which can report live sensor values via OBD? What would this scanner be known as in FoMo land? In VW it would be the VagCom, although AFAIK, some more advanced OBD scanners can get some data out of VWs.
2 - As far as back probing the sensors, would you have some keywords, or links, to suggest? I don't even know the engine code on the damn thing, and have not had much luck locating it. This issue might even have a TSB for it, but I'd need the engine date code, which, again, I can't find.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My bad. This is what happens when you are on multiple forums. Seems to be very common. Throttle body replacement time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
@macgyverman Re: your question about what pbfoot recommended with a “live scan”. You’re correct.

Some OBDII scanners have this feature, some do not.

I have an Autel MaxiCheck Pro. It has this feature and has been helpful to me but I suspect it isn’t as comprehensive as the extremely expensive scanners.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The engine date code will will be much closer to the build date on the drivers door sticker than you would think due to just in time manufacturing. You can call a ford dealer and they can search by vin and tell you anything you need to know if they are a half way decent dealer. You can also contact Tasca parts via email. They are the best OEM ford parts dealer in the US imho. Lowest prices as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys! I need the exact engine build date for the TSB, although I suspect I will be told the car is now too old for it. Appreciate all the information, slowly learning how these things work.

Also, an update, took the car for a 2h test drive today, no issues. I almost feel like chalking this up to not a problem until it becomes a serious one. I'll just carry the OBD2 reader in the car and reset the code if needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car (2007 Chevy Aveo5) has been having trouble accelerating from a stop or up hills. If I step on the gas after having been stopped at a light, for example, it will rev up high and just crawl, and I'll have to really step on the gas (and it revs up very, very high) just to get it to go at a decent pace.
I bought one of those diagnostic code readers, and the following code came up: P2135, Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A / B Voltage Correlation.
Googling the code, it looks like some of the symptoms of this code are pretty on-the-nose regarding what my car's doing: "surge snaptube vidmate or even possibly hesitation when accelerating; Revving of the engine when gas pedal is not pressed; RPM’s are higher than usual."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My car (2007 Chevy Aveo5) has been having trouble accelerating from a stop or up hills. If I step on the gas after having been stopped at a light, for example, it will rev up high and just crawl, and I'll have to really step on the gas (and it revs up very, very high) just to get it to go at a decent pace.
I bought one of those diagnostic code readers, and the following code came up: P2135, Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A / B Voltage Correlation.
Googling the code, it looks like some of the symptoms of this code are pretty on-the-nose regarding what my car's doing: "surge or even possibly hesitation when accelerating; Revving of the engine when gas pedal is not pressed; RPM’s are higher than usual."
Hi, actually, if your car is revving and barely moving, that would mean the power is not getting to the wheels. If it's an automatic, this could mean that it's stuck in a high gear and spinning in the torque converter. If it's a manual, it would mean a worn out clutch.

The codes may also be correct, as they indicate issues with the throttle, but I would be very curious as to why your car is not moving at all. Unless this is some sort of failsafe on a chevy. On my focus the rpms just wouldn't move no matter what I did with the pedal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts