Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Ford Focus SE and have been getting the "P2097-post catalyst fuel trim system being too rich in bank 1" error code. Cleared it a few times but comes on within 10 min of driving. I have a FSWERKS race exhaust system installed and a CAI. My catalytic converter failed a while back (only 46K on the car!) so I had it gutted and installed a O2 override sensor in the 2nd O2 spot. Any ideas what would cause this, or what I need to replace? Car drives great just sick of that yellow check engine light...

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
I have a 2014 Ford Focus SE and have been getting the "P2097-post catalyst fuel trim system being too rich in bank 1" error code. Cleared it a few times but comes on within 10 min of driving. I have a FSWERKS race exhaust system installed and a CAI. My catalytic converter failed a while back (only 46K on the car!) so I had it gutted and installed a O2 override sensor in the 2nd O2 spot. Any ideas what would cause this, or what I need to replace? Car drives great just sick of that yellow check engine light...
Tom's tune can help you disable the 2nd o2 sensor if that check engine is driving you mad.

Btw, do you have pending code with that P2097 DTC?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Moved to the Performance section for your model (duratec TiVCT).

IDK just what you describe as an 'override sensor' for the #2 O2, but it's not doing the job of correcting for the missing CAT to fool the system completely.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
P.S. - too late now, but a Dealer could have given you a free CAT under warranty if you hadn't jumped the gun & destroyed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll find a link to the sensor I'm taking about. I brought it to the dealership first and they stated it wasn't covered under warranty, hence the reason I gutted it.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Think it would be under 7/70k emissions, so mileage might be higher. Some mention 10/100k but I think that's for CA only now.

In any case, electronic 'cheaters' or use of mechanical spacers are the two methods to 'fool' a second O2 sensor I'm familiar with.. A special sensor itself that didn't work like a normal one is a new trick if that's what you actually meant.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I lent my OEM manicat to someone to take car back to Ford for engine problems... after running mine for a few months his car died and the motor wouldn't start...they found his stock manifold had two pipes clogged with his catalytic internals...don't know why I posted that but weird fact for you.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Was it your loaner that crapped out?

Or wasn't I reading that right?

CAT coming apart that bad can do nasty things to an engine.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Yes, mine after I installed Fs werks.... no issues on my car then as soon as we install on his car, that happened..dont know if I should thank him for it not happening to me or cursing him since now I have no oem manifold if I ever return to stock. :)

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Thank him if you didn't want to replace an engine - sucking CAT bits into the cylinders can toast them, and it can happen when a ManiCAT disintegrates.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^I suspect because he was still tuned for high octane fuel when he put the manicat back on perhaps the cat overheated and disintegrated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts