Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey Marde,

I replaced those hoses. No luck!

Although everytime I mess around down there it seems to change whether or not the car revs high at the start. My hand bumps against the electrical wires. Makes me wonder if it's a frayed wire. I checked the connection points and they all seem plugged in tight.

I also wonder if the new IMRC solenoid I bought off of Amazon is bad. Would be a weird coincidence.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
With your recent updates, it definitely seems like something has been missed or something is unique with your P2004. The older Foci, like yours & mine, will experience a P2004, and the normal knee jerk response to fix this is a new Solenoid or the vac hoses from the Intake Manifold (IM) to the Solenoid and/or the hose from the Solenoid to the Actuator.

After your reply earlier today, I thought like you, that maybe you got a bad (new) Solenoid. A new Solenoid that is defective is my thought at the moment. HOWEVER, you seem to have other engine symptoms or things that should be considered.

I blew-off or did not seriously consider some of your initial posts and comments... Here is one of your initial reports that I failed to fully accept or consider...

Ran a few more tests.

1. Reset check engine light and unplugged IMRC solenoid. Same results! The check engine light doesn't come on, until the second start.
2. Reset check engine light and put the old IMRC solenoid back in. Same results! The check engine light doesn't come on, until the second start.

Also it revs up on startup no matter if hot or cold and continues to do so while idling. I wonder if the IMRC solenoid I bought is bad? It's odd the unplugging it doesn't change anything.
Yes, Yes, and maybe No.
My memory is selectively very bad and is also near perfect. The P2004 is something I remember very clearly. I have posted here at FF about this subject more than 4 or 5 times...?

With an IMRC fault, the car can or will forgive you on the initial drive. The code posts as "pending" but does not turn-On the check engine light (CEL). The CEL "turns-on" if the fault continues to exist during the (2nd) engine-On with this same fault.

I "think" the CEL will turn on immediately if the engine started IMRC healthy AND the IMRC fault occurs during this initial drive.

Disconnecting the electrical connector of the IMRC Solenoid creates a P2008 code, and not a P2004 code. The P2008 code = bad Solenoid or bad electrical to the Solenoid. P2004 implies or suggests that the Solenoid is bad OR something else; aka, the vac hoses or the Actuator is faulty.

Although everytime I mess around down there it seems to change whether or not the car revs high at the start. My hand bumps against the electrical wires. Makes me wonder if it's a frayed wire. I checked the connection points and they all seem plugged in tight.

I also wonder if the new IMRC solenoid I bought off of Amazon is bad. Would be a weird coincidence.
(1) Engine Revs high at cold start. Yes. Normal. The question is now; IS YOUR engine doing something RPM strange or not during cold and warm start-up?

(2) Your hand bumps wires and bumps RPM's. (!!!????) This is VERY BAD and please look into this more.

(3) Your new IMRC Solenoid is faulty bad? Yes and maybe. TBD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just an update, tried a second new solenoid, drove on 3 different 10 minute trips before the light came back on. Guess I will try and replace the actuator next. Please let me know if there are any good videos or resources out there to help.

Thanks!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts