Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just replaced the IMRC solenoid on my 07 Focus, disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, started it and drove it for about 10-15 minutes with no check engine light. Then turned it off and started it right back up and the light stayed illuminated.

Went through this process twice and had the same results.

It's odd because I had disconnected the battery with the old solenoid in and within the first minute the check engine light would back on. Now with the new solenoid it stays off during the first drive and only comes on, right away on the second start.

*Extra info: Symptoms are the engine revs on cold start, even after replacing the solenoid. I checked the vacuum hoses that I could see, and also looked at the throttle plate, it looks clean and with my wife stepping on the gas, moves freely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same issue on an 05 ZX4 ST. I’m doing my research I’ve found that the likely cause is from the “butterfly valves” in the manifold. They’re made of plastic and driven on a steel rod. The plastic over time chips away and can no longer hold its position on the rod it’s self. So the best fix is the replace the intake manifold. I haven’t found any for less than $300.
are you having issues with the engine stalling while stopping at a light too? Is this related?
if you find anything else out let me know and I’ll keep you posted also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran a few more tests.

1. Reset check engine light and unplugged IMRC solenoid. Same results! The check engine light doesn't come on, until the second start.
2. Reset check engine light and put the old IMRC solenoid back in. Same results! The check engine light doesn't come on, until the second start.

Also it revs up on startup no matter if hot or cold and continues to do so while idling. I wonder if the IMRC solenoid I bought is bad? It's odd the unplugging it doesn't change anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the original IMRC solenoid was in when I first got the check engine light and p2004. So I installed the new one hoping that would fix it.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Your P2004 problem is likely a crack or break in the vacuum line that extends from the IMRC Solenoid to the IMRC Actuator. This rubber vacuum line is available at most car part stores, and can be purchased by the "foot" 12-inches. Total cost of a replacement piece should be about 1 dollar or less. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Oh, I forgot,... you will not see this vac hose problem unless you take the vac hose outside of the engine area and place it in your hands. Only then will you see the crack in this hose. The cracks hide themselves inside of the curves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Marde, I'll take a look at the hose as soon as we have a rain free day. Is it easy to access the actuator side of the hose, maybe from under the car?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Yes, but not required. The vac hose TO actuator nipple is easy to see and connect if your underneath the engine. The same work can be done from the top-side, but some parts are blind-to-you (IIRC), so you might have to work by "feel" when disconnecting/connecting the hose onto the actuator. Thankfully, there is no hose clamp, the hose just slides-on.

Side Note: check to SEE or FEEL if the actuator has the electrical connector firmly attached or not.

Side Note2: My 2004 2.3 is configured different than yours; the placement of IMRC components is also different. Plus, the 2.3 engine has IMRC + IMTV.
I did this same repair on a 2005 about 3 years ago, and that engine IMRC is configured just like yours. The IMRC Actuator vac hose was cracked, and I put a new actuator vac hose on without going underneath the car. While your at it, you might as well replace the vac hose that goes from/to the Solenoid to the Intake Manifold. Same hose type, and very cheap. Gd Luck.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ran a few more tests.

1. Reset check engine light and unplugged IMRC solenoid. Same results! The check engine light doesn't come on, until the second start.
2. Reset check engine light and put the old IMRC solenoid back in. Same results! The check engine light doesn't come on, until the second start.

Also it revs up on startup no matter if hot or cold and continues to do so while idling. I wonder if the IMRC solenoid I bought is bad? It's odd the unplugging it doesn't change anything.
Are you replacing the IMRC solenoid or the IMRC actuator?

Paul

·
Registered
4,401 Posts

Paul
Paul? Are you stalking me?
I have not posted in FF in a few or several months. I remember you, and I respect your knowledge and your prior posts at FF. However, you seem to follow my prior posts... why do you follow me like that, and like this today?

Paul
Paul,
Please read this entire thread. The IMRC solenoid was replaced. The actuator has not been replaced. The current idea (or my idea) is that the OP has a leaking/broken vac hose within the IMRC system.

Peace out. No sarcasm meant or intended. You are a great helper, contributor and member at FF.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Paul? Are you stalking me?
I have not posted in FF in a few or several months. I remember you, and I respect your knowledge and your prior posts at FF. However, you seem to follow my prior posts... why do you follow me like that, and like this today?
Ive never been accused of this. Ever. And it makes me very angry. Im just a guy, with a family, and a couple of old Focuses trying to help other people with their old Focuses. Perhaps you should consider some psychiatric help.

Paul,
Please read this entire thread. The IMRC solenoid was replaced. The actuator has not been replaced. The current idea (or my idea) is that the OP has a leaking/broken vac hose within the IMRC system.

Peace out. No sarcasm meant or intended. You are a great helper, contributor and member at FF.
I read the entire thread - I dont need you to tell me to do that. I specifically quoted the OP because my question was for him, not you. Perhaps you want to consider some type of reading comprehension. People get confused with parts terms - I do sometimes - and I am trying to 100 percent verify what part he replaced so that I can try and assit him in fixing his vehicle.

Paul

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Paul,
I very much want to defend and further explain my prior words, but this would only further aggravate you or others reading. Off topic bickering or arguing inside a thread is the worst. Because of this, I will bow out, and offer you a sincere apology.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced the IMRC on my 04 SVT recently. My check engine light did go off immediately. I did have two different mechanics tell me it may take about 60-80 miles for the check engine light to go off. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive never been accused of this. Ever. And it makes me very angry. Im just a guy, with a family, and a couple of old Focuses trying to help other people with their old Focuses. Perhaps you should consider some psychiatric help.

I read the entire thread - I dont need you to tell me to do that. I specifically quoted the OP because my question was for him, not you. Perhaps you want to consider some type of reading comprehension. People get confused with parts terms - I do sometimes - and I am trying to 100 percent verify what part he replaced so that I can try and assit him in fixing his vehicle.

Paul

Paul
WOW are you for real on your comments?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all,

Just replaced the IMRC solenoid on my 07 Focus, disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, started it and drove it for about 10-15 minutes with no check engine light. Then turned it off and started it right back up and the light stayed illuminated.

Went through this process twice and had the same results.

It's odd because I had disconnected the battery with the old solenoid in and within the first minute the check engine light would back on. Now with the new solenoid it stays off during the first drive and only comes on, right away on the second start.

*Extra info: Symptoms are the engine revs on cold start, even after replacing the solenoid. I checked the vacuum hoses that I could see, and also looked at the throttle plate, it looks clean and with my wife stepping on the gas, moves freely.
Hey BFT89, I had a similar issue on my 05 Focus ZX4 over a year back. First replaced the IMRC actuator with some success, but light and high revs eventually came back. Moved on to replace IMRC solenoid with no success on the revs and CEL. Finally removed the IAC valve and cleaned it our with carb cleaner really well and also sprayed in the IM to clean out carbon deposits. put everything back together and worked like a charm. To date, engine has not rev'ed up and no P2004 code. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Marde,

So I pulled off those hoses and inspected. They were in really good shape. However, now my car does sound much better. It doesn't rev when starting up. That makes me wonder if the hose wasn't pressed on all the way or if the end has hardened and isn't holding as good of a seal. I was going to just replace them but Autozone doesn't have that sized vac hose.

I unplugged the battery over night and the check engine light did come back on. My question for you is if this is the type of fault that won't go away by unplugging the battery?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I replaced the IMRC on my 04 SVT recently. My check engine light did go off immediately. I did have two different mechanics tell me it may take about 60-80 miles for the check engine light to go off. Just sayin'.
Please forgive my blunt response. There is no IMRC, unless you identify the exact part or component of the IMRC system that you replaced.

Yes, the IMRC code (P2004) will reset immediately after a repair back to good health. This system does not need a time or X-miles driven. The P2004 will disappear once the IMRC system is healthy and the car has been turned Off and then turned back On.

Yes, there are some cars and some systems that require a lengthy "drive cycle" before a (DTC) code will be dismissed. This IMRC P2004 is not one of those monsters.

Hey BFT89, I had a similar issue on my 05 Focus ZX4 over a year back. First replaced the IMRC actuator with some success, but light and high revs eventually came back. Moved on to replace IMRC solenoid with no success on the revs and CEL. Finally removed the IAC valve and cleaned it our with carb cleaner really well and also sprayed in the IM to clean out carbon deposits. put everything back together and worked like a charm. To date, engine has not rev'ed up and no P2004 code. Hope this helps.
Hmmmm? Your IACV caused a P2004 code? I doubt that, but maybe it freakishly did that. It is more likely that you had 2 different problems and the fault/s were cleared once you did that handful of engine clean-up and maintenance. Either way & no matter what the symptoms were, you did a good job, and you got your car back to no engine light On and no DTC's.

So I pulled off those hoses and inspected. They were in really good shape...
I would have of bet you on those small vac hoses to/from the IMRC solenoid to have been cracked. Like I said before, I saw this in a 2005/06 Focus, but I did not find the hose crack until I pulled out the solenoid and the hoses.

...but Autozone doesn't have that sized vac hose.

I unplugged the battery over night and the check engine light did come back on. My question for you is if this is the type of fault that won't go away by unplugging the battery?

Thanks!
That type of rubber vac hose should be in stock at all or most car part stores.

The IMRC and code P2004 will reset after ignition On & Off. No battery disconnect is needed.

Good luck. This should be an easy fix. The Solenoid or the vac hoses are the normal failures. The IMRC Actuator is very reliable and should not be your IMRC problem. TBD.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts