Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends car threw a CEL yesterday. Had it pulled. P2004 - Intake Runner Stuck open on bank 1 (I'm paraphrasing). I need some help with diagnosing and fixing the issue, preferable without a tumbler flap and re-tune.

My understanding is that the 2.0L does not have variable length intake runner, like its bigger 2.3L brother. It does, however, have tumbler flaps. Does this code refer to the tumbler flaps?

If so, it appears that it is vacuum actuated by a single actuator arm underneath the intake manifold. Is this true as well?

Now, if both of my prior questions are true, why would I get an error for open flaps on bank 1? Are their two sensors or does one sensor scan for all four cyl?

I know this is long winded, but I searched and got little information that I could work with. When she comes home tonight, what would you suggest I start testing first?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon close inspection, I found a cracked vacuum line that lead to the actuator. I replaced the line in question and reset the ECU. It appears to have been resolved. The next couple days will confirm it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The "Bank 1" quote tells me you used a "generic" scanner, NOT a Ford specific one....

OBD codes are generic, and allow for motors OTHER than 4 or 6 cyl. in- line engind=es, Hence the "Bank" number.....

Being a 4 cyl. in-line engine, the Focus will ALWAYS show "Bank 1"

Clear as Mud?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
My understanding is that the 2.0L does not have variable length intake runner, like its bigger 2.3L brother. It does, however, have tumbler flaps. Does this code refer to the tumbler flaps?
Yes, and the 2.3 doesn't have variable runners either, it is the same intake manifold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts