Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the CEL came on and i went to checker auto and got a reading. P1401 came up. i talked with the guy there and he said that i should check/replace the EGR valve position sensor and/or the DPFE sensor. first, what are those and what do they do? second, is the checker auto guy correct? and third, becuase the car did not run any different when the CEL came on than it did before, is this an urgent problem or can it wait a bit? thank you in advance for all the help.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I got my car scanned for free at AutoZone out here in Illinois. That was great and all cuz it was free but the sales person there couldn't pinpoint what part of the EGR system was bad. I started by replacing the EGR valve (the silver or rust colored UFO thing sitting beneath the intake pipe AFTER the filter box) that cost me about 25 bucks. I still had the same sputtering problem as you do. The next thing I did was go to my local Ford dealer and pick up a DPFE sensor for around the same price. I didn't even have to order it since they stocked up on a commonly failing part. Since then, my problems have gone away for now.

Just do a search and you'll find all the info you need though write-ups or old threads on this topic. If all else fails in your searches, just PM me and I will try to help you out the best that I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts