Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manufacturer control ignition system or misfire.
Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thought it was plugs oil leaked through valve cover onto them. Has absolutely no power on Low rpms. High rpms it pulls as long as the engine light is not on. After o clear it it has high rpm power

·
Registered
497 Posts
Manufacturer control ignition system or misfire.
Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thought it was plugs oil leaked through valve cover onto them. Has absolutely no power on Low rpms. High rpms it pulls as long as the engine light is not on. After o clear it it has high rpm power
Bullshit code descriptions (and help for that matter) are why you don't have Autozone pull your codes. Just sayin [:)]

This is a variable cam timing over-retarded code. It means the computer is trying to advance the intake camshaft and it is either not advancing at all or not advancing as much as it's being "told" to. The system uses a little hydraulic valve on a solenoid to regulate oil pressure to what is called a "phaser". In other words, a little electric motor moves a little valve and this movement allows oil pressure to push the cam gear into a different position. You may have oil flow issues, oil quality issues (change the oil with good oil and filter NOT some Lucas nonsense with a Fram filter). Most often source of these issues is a bad VCT solenoid. This is super easy to replace and relatively cheap. It could also be a physically bound phaser or even a base cam timing issue.

Based on the fact that your concern will come and go as the light comes on and off I'd say it's either oil quality or the solenoid.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought the car 3 days ago. He said the 5w20 is what's recommended in it. I looked in the book and it said 5w30 is ment for it. He was using ford synthetic blend

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's good that he used motocraft oil, it is good stuff... but there are somewhat frequent oil filter failures in the aftermarket - generally cheap part store generics... using the right weight and OEM oil doesn't rule out the possibility something from a filter has contaminated the small oil passages in the VCT valvebody.

I'd change the oil regardless -especially if your issues came about immediately after a fresh oil change or at the end of an interval. If changing it has no effect I'd say it's pretty safe to assume your solenoid is junk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. Idk what filter he put on it. Is 5/30 or 5/20 the right weight oil? If I drive it normal the engine light won't kick on it's only when im getting on it. I just don't know all that much about these yet. It's my first svt

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's 5W20 but I can check if you can't find it in your owners manual...

The cam only attempts to advance on moderate-heavy throttle so that makes sense as to when the CEL comes on

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the help. Is there any way to clean the passages on the vct?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It also has no low end power like taking off is sometimes interesting cause there is literally no power till about 3000 rpm

·
Registered
497 Posts
The PCM doesn't like to attempt to move a cam if it sees that the cam isn't moving the way it's supposed to. Your power loss is a product of this system not working as it should. Either the VCT system isn't providing the intended power increase OR the PCM is limiting torque based on the fact that the VCT system has malfunctioned.

The passages can be cleaned out but it requires a good amount of disassembly and an air gun. I'm fairly certain the cam gear must be removed to adequately clean the passages and this would require the engine to be re-timed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am going to check the timeing on it cause no light or anything was on until the guy I bought it from changed the belt. That's what he said anyway so

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
The VCT starts working from the second you hit the key , I have had dozens of these engines apart and I would say its almost impossible for the VCT passages to stop up the VCT only knows to do what its told there is no feed back to let the VCT know it isnt working properly other then a "P1383/P1381" code for over / under advanced

My guess would be the guy does not have the VCT gear positioned correctly after installing the timing belt , this is a very common issue the timing will need to be redone and the VCT set properly

Tom

·
Registered
497 Posts
The VCT starts working from the second you hit the key , I have had dozens of these engines apart and I would say its almost impossible for the VCT passages to stop up the VCT only knows to do what its told there is no feed back to let the VCT know it isnt working properly other then a "P1383/P1381" code for over / under advanced

My guess would be the guy does not have the VCT gear positioned correctly after installing the timing belt , this is a very common issue the timing will need to be redone and the VCT set properly

Tom
The CMP is the feedback, otherwise it would have no way of determining amount of advance/retard....

OP - now that we know it recently had a timing belt, it's likely out of time as suggested by Tom.....sorta changes the situation entirely

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
The CMP is the feedback, otherwise it would have no way of determining amount of advance/retard....

OP - now that we know it recently had a timing belt, it's likely out of time as suggested by Tom.....sorta changes the situation entirely
Actally the CMP is there to tell the ECU only that it is over or under advanced from its target, The VCT advance or retard is a preset value set by load vs rpm +/- some small changes for oil temps , engine temps etc

Tom

·
Registered
497 Posts
Actally the CMP is there to tell the ECU only that it is over or under advanced from its target, The VCT advance or retard is a preset value set by load vs rpm +/- some small changes for oil temps , engine temps etc

Tom
We're going around in circles. The PCM has absolutely no idea what position the cam is relative to crank position without the CMP. The amount of desired advance or retard is programmed into the load tables as you suggest but the CMP is most certainly the method at which the PCM determines if the desired amount of advance is acquired. Without the CMP the PCM wouldn't be able to set a code that says "I'm under/over advanced/retarded"

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ok so. Timing is fine. Vct solenoid is within spec what else would it be?
If you are positive your base timing is correct and the resistance of the VCT solenoid coil is within spec you must have some sort of VCT control issue. If you aren't setting a code for the solenoid circuit it's not shorted or open...but if there is resistance in the circuit it will affect the physical movement of the valve on the end of the solenoid. Your phaser itself could also be internally damaged. If it isn't the valve that regulates oil flow or the phaser that receives the oil - it must be the oil flow itself. You could have an internal leak at the cam seal or some blocked oil passages.

I wouldn't recommend more disassembly at this point. Load test the VCT solenoid circuits and make sure you don't have more than .5 volt drop across both the power and control circuits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car has the power it should until the light comes on. Then it's gone at low rpms it falls right on it's face. If that helPs determin anything

·
Registered
497 Posts
The car has the power it should until the light comes on. Then it's gone at low rpms it falls right on it's face. If that helPs determin anything
When you clear the codes you erase the PCM's memory of the fault. Without repairing the cause, the PCM will once again determine that he cannot control valve timing correctly. It will enter a failure effects managament mode in which it deliberately reduces engine power and quits trying to adjust the system with the fault.

With a cable throttle this can only be done with spark advance or injector pulsewidth so I'd imagine once your code sets the PCM freezes the cam at base timing, discontinues any attempt at advancing the cam and retards ignition timing. No VCT or spark advance is going to make this thing pretty doggy.

Figure out why the PCM can't keep the cam where it wants it and your power will be restored.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts