Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is throwing a p1383 over timing code, not sure if belt has ever been changed but if so not for a few years. I was gonna clean the vct solenoid first since the car was running fine. Looking for advice
symptom
car has 170k miles and ran fine until a few weeks ago
idles fine
revs out gear fine
hesitates/stumbles? when accelerating typically around 2k
any help is appreciated

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Change that timing belt ASAP, with that many miles on it and not knowing if it's been changed or not and throwing that code. It could have already jumped time a little and that's why it's throwing the code, you just never know and with this motor being an interference motor, which means if that belt lets go the valves get trashed and that's way more expensive.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I use the Gates timing belt kit, I've installed at least a dozen by now, you can get them off of Rockauto for around 70 bucks. You'll have to buy the water pump separate if your replacing that as well. I do it just because I'm right there.

That being said people are going to say stay away from the Gates kit because a couple of members using that kit had messed up, but these were questionable installs. But I assure you there have been hundreds of the kits installed and they work just fine. People like to recommend the ford OEM parts but fail to remember that the ford parts have failed before as well. Make sure you follow the procedure correctly and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone got a good write up with parts list and special tools list. Assuming I need something for cam as well as timing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts