Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was driving on the highway home, no problems. I exited the highway and came to the first light. I tried to give the car some throttle and the thing bogged horribly. It barely made it home. I started the car up the next morning no problem, and the car ran fine for about 3/4 mile. Then it started bogging again and threw the code P1381, which is excessive time caming. I parked the car at work for 8 hours,came out and the car wouldnt start. I tried for 20 mins on and off trying to start the car. Finally with the throttle all the way open the car started and took off fine! The car accelerated onto the highway no problems. As im driving on the highway the car started to bogg again. I parked the car, and since then it will not start. Anyone have any ideas? My timing belt is due for replacement, but its wierd that it works and then doesnt work? Is this a VCT issue?? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
-Jon

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Miles on the car to date? What year is your car and model? (guessing SVT)

I'm guessing the timing belt is stretching and causing you all this grief (it could be the belt, belt tensioner, or idler). Or it could be you VCT sensor. I'm going to be honest, and let you know I'm not really familiar with how that sensor works because I haven't had to mess with it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
OK Check this
Pukk off your spark plug cover
See of there is any oil pooled on the passenger side
The thing sticking up is the VCT sensor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is an '02 SVT and it has 135k miles. Im going to pull off the spark plug cover when I get home tonight. If there is oil there, what does that mean? And also, is it difficult to change the VCT? I'm am not knowledgeable about the VCT stuff. Thanks for you help already!
-Jon

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
The car is an '02 SVT and it has 135k miles. Im going to pull off the spark plug cover when I get home tonight. If there is oil there, what does that mean? And also, is it difficult to change the VCT? I'm am not knowledgeable about the VCT stuff. Thanks for you help already!
-Jon
If there is oil the o ring on the vct sensor is worn
simple and cheap to replace but this is unlikely the cause of your code.

if not then maybe it's the vct itself.
Since you have 135k miles you really should replace the timing belt
That job is a biggie so you may want to farm that out
Read this
and decide if you want to tackle it.

If after you replace the timing belt, still have issues then replace the vct
WD40 gave you link
I think you don't have to remove the valve cover.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Since you have 135k miles you really should replace the timing belt
That job is a biggie so you may want to farm that out
Read this
Here is the proper timing belt R&R procedure for the SVTF:
http://atomic.speculation.org/Graphics/ZX3%20Pics/Focus%20Documentation/Ford%20Manual%20Files/Cam%20Timing.html

The previous link (in the quote) is for standard models, and has no information on how to set the VCT.
But, SVTF4243 is correct in one aspect for certain;
It's not a job for the timid...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, I checked the vct O-ring and its not leaking. Is there anyway of testing the VCT? If I could determine that it is just the VCT now, it would give me a few weeks to scrape some $$$ together to get a mechanic to change the timing belt; it sounds involved for me to do it. So is it a known issue that VCTs go bad? And if so, at what interval do they go bad? But if it is the timing belt, I guess I'll just have to do it myself now. Thanks for your guys input!
-Jon

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
A stretched timing belt isnt going to be working then not working , it would MAYBE show an underadvanced code but would bogg badly then get better , but the VCT could thats why I directed you to that , if you can find some one with a SCT scan tool close to you you could see if it is working properly

Tom

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
A stretched timing belt isnt going to be working then not working , it would MAYBE show an underadvanced code but would bogg badly then get better , but the VCT could thats why I directed you to that , if you can find some one with a SCT scan tool close to you you could see if it is working properly

Tom
You are exactly right and I thought about that after I wrote that post.

·
Registered
714 Posts
But at 135K he still should change the belt even if it isn't the immediate problem

·
Registered
89 Posts
Starting this back up because it's the appropriate thread...my SVT is throwing the 1381 code, over advanced, no oil flow to VCT chamber, VCT solenoid stuck or defective and low oil pressure. I had my clutch replaced and the guy said the last thing he had to do was adjust the timing, well, of course he won't finish the job he screwed up with the timing. My problem here, the car sounds and runs like crap in idle, stalls out every so often at stops (battery and oil lights come on when it stalls). Above 1100 rpms, the car runs and sounds great. Any help would be appreciated. I've looked at other threads pertaining to timing and codes, but nobody ever really said their cars ran great above certain rpms.

Thanks, Stromberg2

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Tom, I had the clutch replaced and he said there were lousy gaskets, so I bought a set of gaskets, $150 gone for that. He said the last thing he had to do was adjust the timing, though I don't really know why he did that. Now, the car idles lousy and what not I described earlier. He admitted that he couldn't find the timing marks, no surprise there, it's an SVT. So, what I was wondering...could it be VCT solenoid, bad timing or worse? The area around the solenoid appeared dry, no oil, but the solenoid could just be bad. Basically, the car didn't act this fussy before he had it. Though, I will say, I hadn't driven it for awhile before that because of the clutch.

Thanks, Kirk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts