Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today My Service Engine Light Came On, Code P1299 ( Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Detected Engine Overheating Condition. My Car Broke The Belt Today And As I Was Driving To AutoZone To Purchase A NEw Belt My 2000 SE Focus Began To OverHeat So I Turn Off My Car Purchase A New Belt, Waited 35 Minutes Restarted The Car And Quicktly Drove To The Mechanic There They Repalce The New Belt. I Did Not Notice The Service Engine Light On Earlier In The Day Only 20 Minutes After I Left The Mechanic, What Should I Do ( does My Focus Needs A New Temperature Sensor ) if yes, where do i find that sensors location. Please Help A.S.A.P

I have to drive to north carolina this saturday and i cannot go because of this problem....

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
couple of things.
1. why cant you change your own belt?
2. if the temp guage didnt get all the way up i wouldnt worry
3. i would reset the bat. if the light is still on and just drive it if there is no issues
4. maybe this will teach you a lil about routine maintenance, check your belts and hoses!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Ouch! Do not ever, ever, ever, ever again drive a car with a broken belt. If the belt is broken, the water pump is not working and you can destroy the engine in a very short time. The word is destroyed. Kaput. Finished. Gone forever. Buy a new engine. This is what you risk driving without a belt.

That said, there is a good chance you are OK. You say you noticed the light, not that it came on. I do not know if a P1299 will automatically reset, but it may require a manual reset. Perhaps the light simply needs to be reset, which you should be able to do with the OBD-II reader that gave you the code.

I would reset the code, check the coolant to make sure it is at the appropriate level, and then I would do a test drive to see if the light comes on again.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
lol i still wanna know why you cant change your own belt... how much did you pay that mechanic to do it? it only takes about 2 min once the car is jacked up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P1299

well my temp gauge does not go way up now. it just stays in the middle. and i will check from now on all my hoses and belts, and learn to be more aware of maintnance on my focus. i will also do a reset to see if the light goes off. thanks Roc

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roc

I Payed The Mechanic $65.00. I Respect Your Question ? I Just Never Learn How To Cchange Any Belts, My Nephew Nows But He Is To Busy At Times Driving His Truck That I Just Dont Want To Bother Him, But I Know He WOnt Tell Me Know If I Need Any Help. Maybe Some Day I Will Try ? Bbut I Just Dont See My Self Doing It For Now. Thanks For THe Question. As I Gave You My Answer.

A Tattoo Artis Like Me Just Doesnt See Him Self Digging In Grease

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"and learn to be more aware of maintnance on my focus."

The key thing is to read your owners manual. The following is a cut and paste from the owners manual:

"Engine coolant temperature
gauge: Indicates engine coolant
temperature. At normal operating
temperature, the needle will be in
the normal range. If it enters the
red section, the engine is
overheating. Stop the vehicle as
soon as safely possible, switch
off the engine and let the engine cool. If it enters the red section
and the Check Engine indicator light illuminates, refer to How fail safe
cooling works in coolant in the Maintenance and Specifications
chapter.

Driving the vehicle without repairing the engine problem
increases the chance of engine damage. Take your vehicle to a
service facility as soon as possible."

Seriously, read the owners manual. It has a lot of lawyer stuff to protect Ford from liability, but there is also a lot of good information that anyone operating the vehicle should know.

I'm not trying to hassle you or be unkind, but I would really hate to see you destroy your engine and have to buy a new vehicle or pay for an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
hey hope your problem is fixed damage already done me giving you crap won't help some people don't do maintance and some do thats just the facts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts