Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having problems with my car mainly starting which im starting to suspect its the battery which is two years old. It turns sometimes im able to rev it but then it turns off. Anyway once i got the car started which took about 20mins, i took it to autozone and it read three codes. They were for the maf, iacv and oxygen sensor. I replaced the iacv and maf and changed the tps for my new 65mm tb. I took it back to autozone and it only read one code which is p1120 manufacturer control, fuel air metering.

I checked the DTC codes here at it says:

P1120 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Out of Range Low (RATCH too Low) The TP sensor circuit is monitored by the PCM for a low TP rotation angle (or voltage) input below the closed throttle position through the comprehensive component monitor (CCM). If during key ON engine OFF or key ON engine running the TP rotation angle (or voltage) remains within the calibrated self-test range but falls between 3.42 and 9.85% (0.17 and 0.49 volt), the test fails. TP circuit with frayed wires
Corrosion on TP circuit connectors
VREF open to TP sensor
VREF short to SIG RTN
TP sensor loose pins
A TP PID (TP V PID) between 3.42 and 9.85% (0.17 and 0.49 volt) in key ON engine OFF, continuous memory or key ON engine running indicates a hard fault.

The TPS is brand new. Could a bad battery throw this code?

I checked the picture on this thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95213&highlight=p1120.

And it ran awful on the 00-02atx. I have it at the 00-02 5spd and idles and runs better? I have a 2000 automatic. Is that normal? This post made me kinda worried becuase my tps points up toward the front of the car.

SkaAddict said:
Unbolt it from the TB and change the direction the plug is going. IIRC, the TPS plug is supposed to point down towards the front of the car.
[???:)]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your voltage for the TP sensor should be between .5 and 1.2 with koeo.
you should put it in the 03 ATX position, I have a 02 ATX and when I just looked
at mine it was in the 03 position. I hope this helps

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed it to that position now it doesnt go over 3k rpms. [???:)]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Kzar said:
I changed it to that position now it doesnt go over 3k rpms. [???:)]
LOL so change it back. You can always try each setting and see what happends, Also try fliping it 180. Make sure you reset the ecu before each new setting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of doing after reading other posts. Im gonna try it later found out my intake manifold is cracked and thats why i have trouble starting the car. I have to replace that first. [:(]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts