Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2001 Wagon with automatic trans. I search a bit and know that this is the "Throttle Position Sensor Out of Range Low (RATCH too Low)"

I did some searching and what I'm having trouble with is that there are no symptoms. Should I just reset the code and see if it comes back? If it does come back without symptoms what are some steps I should take first.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Use a volt meter and check the voltage at closed throttle. Idle should be about .9 volts.
If it reads lower than about .7 volts, odds are the TPS is damaged.

You won't notice much wrong because every time the key is turned the PCM finds a new closed throttle voltage, whatever voltage is read at key turn on is assumed to be closed throttle.
So if you hold the throttle open a bit while starting the car, it will think that point is closed. And when you let go of the throttle the car will panic a little. Then realize what's wrong and correct itself.

In a nutshell, the TPS is bad and needs to be replaced. But that's not so easy in an automatic ... and I'll let you research that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think I got it fixed. Went to the junkyard and picked up three of the TPS sensors. I actually grabbed five of them, but they were wanting $4.29 each. Slapped it on and ran errands with the wife. By the time we got home the idle had relearned itself and was running smooth. The End.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts