Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgraded to a 2017 Focus Ecoboost 1.0 6sp man; just hit 540 miles when the check engine light popped with P04DB PCV System Disconnected. Everything is stock, checked all the hoses and everything seems to be in place. Only thing i noticed is the throttle seems a bit funny kinda throwing off my shifts in lower gears and a bit of sludge on the oil cap, but the oil on the dipstick seems normal; albeit with a reddish tint (think that might be dye the dealer uses with their oil).

I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday, but was curious if anyone happens to know what could cause this and if i have a lemon on my hands so i have an idea of what to expect when i get to the dealer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Upgraded to a 2017 Focus Ecoboost 1.0 6sp man; just hit 540 miles when the check engine light popped with P04DB PCV System Disconnected. Everything is stock, checked all the hoses and everything seems to be in place. Only thing i noticed is the throttle seems a bit funny kinda throwing off my shifts in lower gears and a bit of sludge on the oil cap, but the oil on the dipstick seems normal; albeit with a reddish tint (think that might be dye the dealer uses with their oil).

I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday, but was curious if anyone happens to know what could cause this and if i have a lemon on my hands so i have an idea of what to expect when i get to the dealer.
this doesn't sound good.

what have you heard about the vehicle, if anything?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't seem to find much info on what causes this code. Everything I've found involves modification of the intake which is not too helpful for me as I haven't touched anything. Actually baffled the ford rep I talked to as this code is more common for diesels than petrols. Also is vehicle health report available on the standard sync? Or only available on sync 3?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting update. Just got a call from the dealer that my car may be held up for the weekend as they had to contact ford engineering to figure out why the car is throwing that particular code. Also found misfire codes too during their testing.

If there's any ford cs' still on here; with having problems like this and having only bought the car brand new just last month (2017 Focus SE Ecoboost), do I have any options of swapping this one out or just returning it for a different model?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Interesting update. Just got a call from the dealer that my car may be held up for the weekend as they had to contact ford engineering to figure out why the car is throwing that particular code. Also found misfire codes too during their testing.

If there's any ford cs' still on here; with having problems like this and having only bought the car brand new just last month (2017 Focus SE Ecoboost), do I have any options of swapping this one out or just returning it for a different model?
Check the dealer paperwork, as a lot of times, this varies by state and the particular dealer. Some states have a "Cold Feet" clause that'll let you back out of the purchase.

If it's a good dealer, they should be willing to work with you or make it right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the car has been at the dealer for almost a month now. The Ford cs rep I was assigned to has been dodging my calls for a week now and the last I heard from the dealer was the suspected part was on backorder but he wasn't too confident that that was the issue. At least they gave me a nice escape for a loaner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got a hold of a Ford CSR rep. Pretty much they told me it's only an emissions code, there's nothing wrong with the car, and even though the so called part to fix the issue is on indefinite backorder I'm told to deal with it. I don't think driving a brand new 2017 with a check engine light should even be considered acceptable, but according to ford it is. This will be my last new ford I buy, with the way their customer service handled this issue along with the sharp decline in quality and reliability in their newer vehicles, I'm left disappointed with what used to be a go to car manufacturer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My new 2017 Focus SE Ecoboost suffers from the same malady.

First time I filled it up the Check Engine light lit up as I pulled away from the pump. Advanced Auto read as P04DB.

i took it in to Ford a few days later and they claimed to have found a loose pcv and sent me packing ... with the light off.

Filled up again a few days later and about 20 miles down the road the CE light came on.

Took it back to Ford who then said that it was a known Ford problem and just have to live with it till they came up with a fix.

My big question is if running with this P04DB affects engine performance. Does it run open loop? Are fuel trims affected? What if "long term" it runs too rich or too lean sometimes?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what the dealer told me the pcv sensor that was installed wasn't calibrated properly and that's what triggers the fault, it's a common issue for some of the focus 1.0 motors built early this year. Took them 2 months to get the part from Ford, probably would have been longer if I didn't lawyer up for a lemon buyback. They seem to be dragging their asses on getting the part out to dealers for repair, I think they were averaging 2 - 4 a month per dealer. As for performance, I noticed my rpm acted as if there was a vacuum leak whenever I disengaged the clutch between shifts. Made it real annoying shifting first to second.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the update! Do you happen to have the part number for that sensor listed on your receipt? I'll get after them about mine.

BTW, my build date is 02/17

·
Registered
7 Posts
wow, glad to find this thread. family member has this, already been to dealer once and told they replaced the PCV. tech said he'd never seen something like that- fwiw. but this dealer's service dept can't fix a sandwich so maybe they replaced it, maybe not.
anyway, light is back on and i'm betting same code. i'll have my AE hooked up to it tomorrow and see.

i'll also ask the driver as to the difference in driveability if any.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Light just came on in my 2017 focus 1.0 Ecoboost with 1000 miles and the same code. Looks like I'm gonna have a time getting it fixed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow, glad to find this thread. family member has this, already been to dealer once and told they replaced the PCV. tech said he'd never seen something like that- fwiw. but this dealer's service dept can't fix a sandwich so maybe they replaced it, maybe not.
anyway, light is back on and i'm betting same code. i'll have my AE hooked up to it tomorrow and see.

i'll also ask the driver as to the difference in driveability if any.
Yeah, I'm still driving with my light. Ford has yet to reach out and let me know there is a fix. I'm sorely disappointed in their response so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the exact same problem with mine. I bought mine in June and the light has come on 3 times. The first time I took it to the dealer they said they found a loose connector, cleared the code and shipped it. It's such a hassle taking the car to the dealer and having to take time off from work and not getting a loaner car (!) that the last two times I just cleared the light myself. I know, I know... that's not a long time fix. I'm just waiting until someone comes up with a known good fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me too..

Bought the car 2 weeks ago, 2017 Ecoboost SE sedan, 6 speed MT. at around 540 miles, light came on. Scanned with torque pro, showing P04DB. Found this thread, and reset the code. Drove another ~600 miles, came on again. I scheduled a dealer visit for tomorrow morning. I'll update with new info when I hear from the dealer.

*Edit*: Wanted to add that there are no perceptible differences to how it runs & drives.

I also pulled "Test Results" from Torque Pro, and saw the following that didn't pass, unknown if related:

Vehicle VIN: 1FADP3FE6HL246195
Vehicle Manufacturer: Ford
Vehicle Calibration ID: CBDM357.H32

Pending P04DB fault code.

Test report:
------------------
----
MID:$3c TID:$82
- EVAP Monitor (0.040")
Test incomplete or dependant test failed
----
MID:$3d TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
Test incomplete or dependant test failed
--

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have had this problem my self and the car has been the dealer five or six times for it. My dealer was just clearing the codes and sending my on my way. Ford Engineering told them to replace the valve cover. So we shall see how that goes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts