Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, ive been trying to figure out whats wrong with my car for three months now. Ive replaced the air pump twice already checked for cracks on hoses and cantfind anything wrong with it the pump gets filled with water and i dint know how the water gets in. my check engine light just wont go away please help me!!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had the same issue with my 06 ZXW when I got it. It will probably be the valve that is just to the left of the valve cover that has 3 hoses going to it, 2 big rubber hoses for the inlet and outlet air and one for the vacuum actuator. It is called either the Air Injection Diverter Valve or the Air Bypass Valve about $109 + shipping from Rock Auto at the time of writing. STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # DV153 or available from Ford for a bit more money. I did find it interesting despite being a SMP boxed part, the part in the box was a Motorcraft one, go figure :). Could also be something wrong with the solenoid or wiring to the solenoid.

If you have a Mityvac you can test the valve to see if it opens when manually applying vacuum to it. If it is like mine was, it will be rusted up.

However it may cost you nothing, as since you are in California the PZEV cars have a 15yr / 150,000 mile emission system warranty, so it MAY be covered by Ford (check with a local dealer). Unfortunately for me since I am in Illinois I couldn't qualify for that as the PZEV warranty is only valid in states that mandate California emission vehicles (car originally bought in California but shipped out here sometime during its life so fairly rust free for a 9 year old vehicle :) ).

As for how the water gets in it, I assume it is condensation that builds up as it gets its air intake from the intake system but on the valve side of it you have extreme temperature swings which can cause condensation when cooling down. I remember on one of the Chevy Caprice's I have owned the air pump was all rusted up inside of it from condensation from the exhaust system, I don't know the science behind it but GM had to add a valve setup to it (in addition to the 1 way valves that were stock) to help prevent the failure of the air pump.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts