Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got this code from the sct scanner and when i happened the radio shut off and wouldnt turn back on and the gauge was disabled for about a min can anyone give advise as to how i fix this...from what i read it could be a number of things so idk

·
Registered
636 Posts
hmmm, try disconnecting the battery for 15mins and see if it comes back...have you done any work recently on your fuel system?

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i have done nothing to the fuel system the only thing that i did is when i started the car backed up and took off i did it a lil aggressively but not anything that i havent done before and i had a lil wheel hoping when i did it but again nothing that i havent done before and ill try the batt thing but i doubt that itll stay away as it never did before when i had it come on until i truly change the part so....im hoping that it doesnt come to that also when im shifting the idle hangs bad even when i get into gear the hang idle doesnt stop it stays and the car drives itself and doesnt slow down for quite a ways so idk wtf is wrong with it

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really no one can give advise on this i know tom could but im sure hes busy...but still anyone????

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW sorry but you guys are not being helpful at all i did the dumb unhook the batt, and nothing, came right back on i put high grade fuel and injector cleaner in it to see if it would help, that was tonight and ill be driving it around a lil later to see if it clears it up, if not, and all else fails ill change the fuel pump cause i read somewhere, that the first gen had an issue after a while with the sensors on the fuel pumps messing up or something if that doesnt work idk maybe ill just blow the car up and get a subby

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The DTC code would point to fuel level sensor wiring problems. Under the rear passenger seat, check the connections and wiring for loose or chafed wires or corrosion. If no problems are immediately apparent, the problem may be in the pump unit itself. The fuel level sender is integrated into the pump unit. The tank needs to come out for pump replacement.
Which gauge(s) wasn't (weren't) working? If the problem is more than just the fuel gauge, it may be something different.

P0460 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction
The PCM monitors the fuel level input (FLI) circuit for electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves outside the minimum or maximum allowable calibrated parameters for a specified fuel fill percentage in the fuel tank.
Causes:
Empty fuel tank
Fuel pump (FP) module stuck open
Incorrectly installed fuel gauge
Damaged instrument cluster
CASE GND circuit open
FLI shorted to VPWR
Damaged PCM
Overfilled fuel tank
Fuel pump (FP) module stuck closed
Damaged fuel gauge
FLI circuit open
FLI circuit shorted to CASE GND or PWR GND
CSE GND shorted to VPWR
Monitor FLI PID and FLI V PID in key ON engine RUNNING. FLI PID at 25% fill (with non matching fuel gauge) and FLI V PID less than 0.90 volts [for FLI PID at 75% fill (with non matching fuel gauge) and FLI V PID greater than 2.45 volts] indicates a hard fault.

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you bc zx3...those are some answers lol and svt5.0 i did the google thing and i couldnt seem to find a direct and informative answer like bc zx3 just gave me...ill check the ones im able to do like under the seat thing also the whole gauge cluster wasnt working but like i stated it takes about a min for them to work plus you know how the doors auto lock well they dont until the cluster works...i going to be doing some stuff under the hood real soon anyways like new tranny with goodies and cam gears, complete svt brake set up and im going to do the big 3 for my system so yea lots to do :) and this is only a minor set back to try and figure out and the least of my worries cause the car is still running as if this problem didnt exist...so yea thanks guys

·
need new focus?!
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guess what....the same time that the radio died cause a blown fuse the wire under the pass seat came undone from wheel hopedge lol...so everything is fine but...it still has a hanging idle for some reason

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was having the same problem check engine light came on, code p0460 the gauges wouldn't work for about 15sec. Then the rpm's, temp, and the fuel gauge would start working. Found a blown fuse It was #50 it's a 7.5amp fuse. The fuse box is inside, drivers side you have to remove the cover. Let me know if it was the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry for dredging up an old topic, but this assuredly applies to my situation.

I also have this code show up on my my '02, Zx3. I had made a thread about a fuel pump assembly not too long ago. Since then, i have had that replaced. The car seemed to work fine when my mechanic had it, but two days after i got i back from him, the first attempt i tried starting it, it did the same thing; it'd have trouble starting, then unable to idle by sputtering violently to a stop, then unable to start at all.

There's power, as it tries to start. (though when at the mechanic's place, the battery was inexplicably dead after sitting for a week, the battery was charged and tested later and it was fine) When i bought this car, it had been sitting for a few years, and sludge had apparently developed in the tank, which the mechanic cleaned out some. the gas gauge didn't quite work right before the pump was replaced, but now it seems to work right. I've also not been able to see if this code is still popping up, but i'm assuming so.

The radio does not work, but the backlight comes on on it, but without any digits/characters. It seems to have cosmetic damage, but i don't see that being the cause of it not working. I mention this because this person that made this topic had the same issue coincidentally, and also because the owner herself said the radio stopped working after a heavy thunderstorm.

Now, if the problem was not the fuel pump, but it continues to act like no fuel is getting to the engine, what could it be? A friend said to check the spark plugs, but i'm incredibly un-savvy with cars..but, being there was sludge in the tank, i suppose there could be some on the plugs or something. But, that wouldn't cause this error to show, i would think..though again, i'm assume it would be the same error because it's acting exactly the same..

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
lol peoples friends... they have no idea what they're saying.

you know, its crazy... I started to develop this problem awhile back. regular unleaded or anywhere other than chevron would throw the code. put premium in and the light would go out. odd I know but the focus never lasted much longer so I never fixed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lol peoples friends... they have no idea what they're saying.

you know, its crazy... I started to develop this problem awhile back. regular unleaded or anywhere other than chevron would throw the code. put premium in and the light would go out. odd I know but the focus never lasted much longer so I never fixed it.

What happened to it? and my mechanic did suggest to put 93 grade in the car. i just haven't had the chance. in any case, i only have until september to get this thing fixed, get new tires, and get insurance, and..learn how to drive a stick.

as for what my friend said, it still wouldn't hurt for me to look.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
well it was an spi sohc and it dropped a valve seat which destroyed the engine...

no doesn't hurt but that has nothing to do with your current problem. make sure you don't have Bosch platinum spark plugs though. those and the focus (among many other cars) do not get along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well it was an spi sohc and it dropped a valve seat which destroyed the engine...

no doesn't hurt but that has nothing to do with your current problem. make sure you don't have Bosch platinum spark plugs though. those and the focus (among many other cars) do not get along.
well, could it be a fuse? it has to be something electrical or else my mechanic would have figured it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts