Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a random code, P0451 which is explained in the sticky for codes.

P0451 - FTP Sensor Circuit Noisy The fuel tank pressure changes greater than 14 inches of H 2 0 in 0.10 seconds. Intermittent open or short in the FTP sensor or the FTP sensor signal.
Monitor FTP PID and does it change from above 15 inches of H 2 0 to below a minus (-) 15 inches of H 2 0 often in 1.0 minute.

Could this be caused by 110* temps, I have gotten this code twice now and both times its been around 110* outside, the first time was after sitting for about 6hrs and the second time (tonight) was after sitting for 2hrs. Is this the result of vapor build up in the take or is it something more serious that I should be worried about?
Thanks in advanced.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
help anyone! Has no one ever had this before?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got asked about this today.......
Going back in time a little with this, but I do remember having a few minor issues.
The evap problem was do to a loose electrical connector on the sensor attached to the purge control valve under the car. I remember it being a complete pain to get to as it was under the car, on top of the rear suspension sub-frame. I never could get the connector to stay connected and replacing it was about $100 for the valve assembly. In the end I used zip ties and some electrical tape to keep it connected. It worked and I ended up putting 84K miles on it before I got rid of the car.
The other issue was caused by an electrical short in the wiring harness under the back seat. the same harness that passes through the body and connects to the evap sensors! Ford wanted somewhere around $500 or more to keep the car and trace the entire harness down. I bought a factory service electrical manual off ebay and found the problem in 10 min. The body harness was shorting on the opening of the body pass through under the rear seat on the passenger side. Ill take a look around the garage and see if I can find that old manual.
let me know if any of that helps.

Simper Fi
Bob

Reactions: sailor and AlteredZ
1 - 4 of 4 Posts