Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I did the search option first hoping to find an answer without posting but I had no luck.

I am running the Zertec 2.0

I purchased my ZX3 a few weeks ago and everything ran great. The dealer taked about the engine being sluggish before they put it out for sale, so they changed the coil, wires and plugs. It seemed to do the trick.

About a week or so ago the check engine light came on, so I had it checked out. P0420 is what it pulled up. Not what I wanted to see. So I talked to people and tried to figure out if the cat was on it's way out. I was having issues since I thought the cat was toward the rear, only to find out it's on the side of the engine. I have not had the chance to do all the technical testing as of yet.

I have to typical symptoms, poor gas milage, a hesitation when the rpms are increasing, then back to normal, loss of power.

I delt with this this morning when I was out. This afternoon I was messing with my battery, so the code cleared. I went back out to pick up food and noticed hesitation was gone and there was no power loss. Thinking back, the effects didn't happen before the code, only after.

Any thoughts on this? I know there is the sensor device that take time to reread the errors after a reset, so it makes me wonder if this could be a sign of a bad o2 sensor, but I thought I would ask here.

[pray]

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Having the symptoms AND the P0420 make it seem like a bad and/or clogged cat. If a bad cat, your drive this morning allows the problem to hide itself because of cooler outside temp and the cat becomes more plugged-up after it runs awhile or runs longer or runs in hotter outside temps than you did.

Consider having additional tests done to confirm bad cat or not. Temperature testing (using a hand held IR temp gun) of the cat input & output. Exhaust backpressure testing too.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
A few weeks from purchase. Ran poor when we got it. (at Dealership)

Hope you're still within a 30/60/90 day warranty and you can get the Dealer to fix this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few weeks from purchase. Ran poor when we got it. (at Dealership)

Hope you're still within a 30/60/90 day warranty and you can get the Dealer to fix this.
Sadly it's not in the powertrain warranty.

I just took it out for a hard run on the freeway and back roads. CEL came back on but no symptons so far. Uggg, bikes are SO much earier to work on.

Time to dig around for someone to help me look into other tests.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
And you don't have to crawl under them with snow & salt water dripping on you...

Did the Cycle mechanic thing for just that reason.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds like a clogged cat and or weak O2 sensors to me. The dealer making comment of the car being sluggish is a tell tail sign of this possibility.
Pulling the battery and waiting long enough will put the PCM in to learning mode and will to a point compensate as much as possible for the condition till it becomes out of tolerances and of course will throw the cel once again, this most likely was the case with the ignition parts replacement at the dealership and when you messed with the battery connections.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opinions on Cat cleaners? I picked up a bottle of CataClean to try but I'm not at a quarter tank yet to put it to use.

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
There is NO SUCH THING as a cat cleaner, they are permanently poisoned and cannot be brought back. Fodder for the unlearned masses......................

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That's a new one to me, gotta admit NOT looking at displays of "miracle" products though.

Made me start thinking of what kind of junk I could sell that both actually worked & was also B.S..

Washer fluid extender (for summer use only) was the winner.

Bottled water (non potable to make it cheaper) would do the trick, just needs a great label.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts