Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting a P0420 code intermittently. Happens at random times. I took it to three mechanics and they all said I would need a new catalytic converter and a tune up with new oxygen sensors, almost $1400 in repairs. I changed my oil, cleaned off the plugs, and now it barely ever comes on. I also just passed my emissions as well.
2012 Hatchback SE, 6 Speed DCT, 122k miles, daily driver, washed daily at work

Any ideas for cause?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I keep getting a P0420 code intermittently. Happens at random times. I took it to three mechanics and they all said I would need a new catalytic converter and a tune up with new oxygen sensors, almost $1400 in repairs. I changed my oil, cleaned off the plugs, and now it barely ever comes on. I also just passed my emissions as well.

Any ideas for cause?
If your car runs fine with "normal" consumption, I think there`s nothing wrong with your converter. Catalytic converter can be, like, 90% efficient, and due to tight emission laws it`s then broken.

I use techron everytime I get that code and like for 5000km there`s no codes. Does good for engine alltogether. In my opinion it´s the only additive that works:)

Techron Concentrate Plus Complete Fuel System Cleaner | Chevron Lubricants

Sorry for my English:)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If your car runs fine with "normal" consumption, I think there`s nothing wrong with your converter. Catalytic converter can be, like, 90% efficient, and due to tight emission laws it`s then broken.

I use techron everytime I get that code and like for 5000km there`s no codes. Does good for engine alltogether. In my opinion it´s the only additive that works:)

Techron Concentrate Plus Complete Fuel System Cleaner | Chevron Lubricants

Sorry for my English:)
It's also the only fuel additive approved by Ford Motor Company....lol

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Any ideas for cause?
Actually, you only need a catalytic converter for a P0420. Someone is just trying to rip you off.

If you've never replaced the spark plugs, it would be a good idea to do that regardless.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's also the only fuel additive approved by Ford Motor Company....lol
Really? Didn`t know that:) But yes, I`ve used it like four times and everytime pending P0420 cleared out. Also the idle smoothens to a point it feels like the engine is not running when stopped at trafic lights etc.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My 2014 just threw this code and the CE light is on. Will Ford cover this under warranty? I only have 44,000 miles. It came on after I got my oil changed, I've always used synthetic 5w20 and change it every 6500 to 7K miles.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My 2014 just threw this code and the CE light is on. Will Ford cover this under warranty? I only have 44,000 miles. It came on after I got my oil changed, I've always used synthetic 5w20 and change it every 6500 to 7K miles.
Federal Emissions Warranty is 10yrs/100,000miles on the Catalytic Converter. As long as the catalytic converter is verified as the cause of the CEL, then yes, warranty will cover it as required by Federal Law. However, there are other possible causes aside from the catalytic converter. In rare cases, P0420 can also be caused by a faulty catalyst monitor (downstream O2 sensor). It can also be caused by base engine or fuel system failures. Unfortunately, with how the law is written, the catalytic converter has to fail on it's own for warranty to cover it.

So, with that said, the evaporative emissions system has a tendency to cause damage to the catalytic converter, resulting in failure. However, unless there are evap codes stored, it's nearly impossible to prove and much less of a headache for us to simply condemn the converter, replace it and move on.

If there is ONLY a P0420 stored, head on over to your local Ford dealer and advise them of the code. They may tell you that there is a diagnostic fee, which they can't legally charge if the CAT has failed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts