Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"P0320 - Ignition Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction The ignition engine speed sensor input signal to PCM is continuously monitored. The test fails when the signal indicates that two successive erratic profile ignition pickup (PIP) pulses have occurred. Loose wires/connectors.
Arcing secondary ignition components (coil, wires and plugs)
On board transmitter (2-way radio)
The DTC indicates that two successive erratic PIP pulses occurred."

Recently did a total rebuild on a 2001 SOHC 2.0 P Ford Focus engine and the computer keeps throwing this code. The engine will turn over but wont start.

All the internals are golden, I know this for a fact. Rebuilt completely and turns over with zero issues. I also have fuel and oil pressure. The only thing I don't have is spark.

I've replaced both the Cam Shaft and Crank Shaft sensors so I know they aren't bad. All the plugs are where they go and are properly secured, so I fear I may have a frayed wire somewhere, but are there any other issues that could cause this before I go digging through the electronics? I also keep getting an intermittent "No read" signal from the computer when I plug in the OBD II in.

The car was bad when I got it and I think the previous owners may have messed with the computer to get it to run because the pistons looked like a small animal had chewed on them. Car managed to make it home but that was it.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The only thing I don't have is spark...

I've replaced both the Cam Shaft and Crank Shaft sensors so I know they aren't bad.
Test the crank sensor. Don't make the rookie mistake of assuming because a part is new it cannot be part of or the cause of the problem.
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/1.9L-2.0L/how-to-test-the-crank-sensor-1
Also check that you are getting 12V to the ignition coil. (Relevant circuit fuses also been checked?)
At least with a complete lack of spark (as opposed to an intermittent or poor spark condition) it should be relatively easy to trace the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the fuses and they are good. I checked the sensor itself and it's good. Gonna go check the voltages again because I can't remember what I was coming up with the other day.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
We have lots of problems with the ignition power wiring in these vehicles. A section of the wire loom can be too close to the EGR tube if it's not properly secured. This can damage wiring underneath where you can't see it easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unplugged everything and plugged it back in, car now runs like a dream, no codes. Silly stuff, man, silly stuff.

Issue is resolved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts