Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
My wife's Focus (2014 SE 5MT) popped a P0012 code a few weeks ago so I went ahead and replaced both VVT solenoids. That seemingly fixed the problem and the car went back to driving like normal (no more hesitation and loss of power). Today, 3 weeks and 800 miles later, she noticed it suddenly became sluggish again and the engine light came back on. This time both P0012 and P052B were recorded. The P052B code has only come up a few times in these pages and nothing seems to match my circumstances. My old VVT solenoids were still in the garage so I hooked them up to my bench power supply and both seemed to work the same. They each drew 1.5 amp at 12 v and moved their internal piston back and forth freely. Could something other than the VVT solenoid be causing this problem? The wiring looks good and free of any rodent damage. The connectors are secure and free of corrosion. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Edit:
(
It seems like this guy ) may have the same problem. He says in the comments that there was a wire broken between the radiator and engine that needed to be soldered. Another guy (Frank Ramos) in the comments said he found the broken wire near the downpipe. The only thing I am left wondering is why replacing the solenoids temporarily fixed my problem.

Edit 2:
Another thought, while browsing the site tonight I saw the tsb-14-0215 sticky. Sure enough I have some damage there and it looks like some copper is exposed. I am going to open the harness, tape everything up, then add some loom tomorrow night. Could that explain my symptoms?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Solved!
I spliced the damaged wires that were worn were the engine wiring harness bends over the front of the engine and the engine is running like normal again with no lights. I also added some split loom so hopefully I wont run into this issue again. My focus was built in 08/14 so it's well after the date range stated in the TSB. If you haven't yet, address this TSB on your focus before you get stuck in my position.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts