Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to the testing of the sensors and unplugged both and put in a fuse turned the key and it didnt blow the fuse. Plugged the front in and didnt blow. then rear sensor blew the fuse. Removed it and saw a small dent on the top of the sensor which probably shorted it inside. Could a small pothole cause this and if so is there any way to protect it other than not hitting holes. Also what is the aftermarket part number for the after cat. sensor. The parts stores say it is the same as the front. They look different. The number on the sensor is XR3F-9G444-B1A [???:)]

·
Registered
497 Posts
I got to the testing of the sensors and unplugged both and put in a fuse turned the key and it didnt blow the fuse. Plugged the front in and didnt blow. then rear sensor blew the fuse. Removed it and saw a small dent on the top of the sensor which probably shorted it inside. Could a small pothole cause this and if so is there any way to protect it other than not hitting holes. Also what is the aftermarket part number for the after cat. sensor. The parts stores say it is the same as the front. They look different. The number on the sensor is XR3F-9G444-B1A [???:)]
The heater elements that are powered through that fuse are easily shorted to ground if the housing of the sensor is bent. I've had the same thing happen to me...but it wasn't because of a pothole, I ran up a parking stop[mecry]

Because the header hangs so low it's usually the first thing to bottom out on the car and if it's pushed up it's easy for it to smash the sensors up against the halfshaft (rear sensor) or the block/oil pan (front sensor). If you are positive this happened after a pothole AND you didn't bottom out on the ground when you hit the pothole I'd suggest your flexpipe (braided steel covered section of exhaust) is damaged and allowing the exhaust to move too much. If this is the case, it's possible for the exhaust to "shake" or "swing" when the body of the car is jolted and allow the header to smash the 02 sensors against the motor or halfshaft.

You will have a hard time finding the right sensor from a parts store. I simply could not locate the correct sensor and had to use one that had a pigtail harness that was much too long. I just ziptied the excess wire up so it didn't chaff on anything. The sensors are NOT the same front to rear, they look completely different. Best to just remove your sensor and let a parts guy start pulling them off the shelf until you find one similar... Sorry, I didn't keep the part # for the one I went with....

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Main difference is the length of the wires. Some aftermarket catalogs list a long wire sensor for all applications. Posters on this site have NOT had good luck with the Bosch sensors on average....

Only the FIRST sensor is critical to engine operation, the secondary just checks the catalyst operation for emissions compliance. It'll "throw a code", but that is just saying it doesn't think the catalyst is doing it's job.... Only important when it comes time for inspection if emissions are checked where you are located... (probably are..)..

Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oxygen sensor

Thanks for all the info. but can someone come up with a part number to cross reference??[:(]

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Ford part #s:
Front (upper - SVT and Zetec): 5C5Z-9F472-BA
Rear (lower - Zetec): F8RZ-9G444-BB
Rear (lower - SVT): 5W6Z-9G444-BA

·
Registered
497 Posts
The part numbers are stamped on the sensors. Do not waste your time, the dildo at the counter may not give you the right part regardless. Bring the oem one in to physically match it. How do you think napa, autozone and oreilly got their reputation of not having their shit together?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts